Text message issues with HTC Incredible 2
sabram98

I got a new HTC Incredible 2 yesterday.  Everything was set up by the person working in the Verizon store, and all features were working well for the first day.  However, late last night, I began receiving errors when I would attempt to send a text message.  I got a popup window that said, "Message failed. Would you like to retry?"  When looking at the details of the error, it shows:

SMS Error

Cause Code: 34

Error Class: 2

I spoke with my wife, and she was receiving the messages that I was sending and getting the error messages about, but I did not receive any of her responses during the time my phone was having these issues.

Earlier today, based off some searching that I did for that error, I did a factory data reset on the phone.  When I went through and reactivated the phone by calling *228, it fixed the issue for a few hours.  Unfortunately, it is now back to giving me the same error when I attempt to send a text message to anyone. 

Need some assistance in figuring out why my phone is acting like this and what I can do to fix it for good.

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Text message issues with HTC Incredible 2
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
Maybe there is a provisioning issue on your line. Can you call Customer service from a different phone and have them re-setup your line with text messaging. It would involve reprogramming the phone by dialing *228, option 1 with your phone.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
DaisyP_VZW
Verizon Employee

Thanks, Ann154, for your reply.

Hello sabram, 

Are you still experiencing difficulties with sending text messages? Are you using the text messaging application that came pre installed on your device or is it a third party application you downloaded?  If you are using a third party application I would recommend to remove the application and attempt using the pre install application.  If it's the pre installed text messaging application that you are using please follow these steps:  Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Text Messaging > Storage > Clear Data.  Keep in mind this will erase all of the applications settings and data.

0 Likes
IrisM

I have had my droid incredible 2 for several weeks but just recently encountered this same issue....however, I was traveling from my home location in Indiana to New York and it only happened about 4 miles east of my location until the Indiana/Ohio Boarder.  It was like some sort of dead zone for text messages. 

I tried a battery pull, did the *228 and tried both option 1 and option 2 but was never able to send text messages in this area.  It doesn't create too much of an issue but i would think I should receive better service to my immediate east in South Bend.

Once I was about 4 miles from home I was able to send text messages again and once I had gotten into Ohio and all through Pennsylvannia and New York I had no problem sending text messages either...it was only in that area.

Any ideas or suggestions?  I travel east about 30 miles away to go shopping and such and I would like to be able to send text messages when I travel east.

Please help.

***I should mention that I am using the pre-installed Text Messaging application and I did try to clear both data and cache and it would still not work in that specific area.**** 

0 Likes
TominqueBo_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello IrisM,

Yes, I can definitely understand the importance of text messaging.  Have you only experienced this in this particular area?  If so, it's a little difficult to troubleshoot due to the inability to test right away.  However, I would like to propose some suggestions that you can attempt and test the next time you are in the area.  I do understand you are using a 3rd party application and you cleared the data and cache.  Have you tried completely removing the application and re-download it to re-test?  Also, in the area I would test the stock messaging app just to have more complete troubleshooting.  If you are still experiencing the issue the next time you visit the are you can call customer service to further troubleshoot on the spot and or gain more details about the area in case we need to submit a ticket to our engineers to take a look in area.  Please keep us updated.  Thank you.   

0 Likes
IUDodger

I have the same problem as everyone above, but mine is a little different.  I can send text to just about anyone.  I have found out I cannot send to 2 people.  The same error code:34 and cause code: 2 comes up.  I do not travel out of my region very often so that is not the problem.  I do not have a third party messaging system either.  I would really like to get this fixed because one of the numbers I can't text is my cousin and it is irritating. 

I have tried the *228 thing, as well with no luck. 

I see above that one member is from Indiana, and I live there also.  I live in the SW part of the state about 30 miles north of Evansville, IN.  I sure would like some help. Thanks!

0 Likes
AnthonyTa_VZW
Verizon Employee

IUDodger wrote:

I have the same problem as everyone above, but mine is a little different.  I can send text to just about anyone.  I have found out I cannot send to 2 people.  The same error code:34 and cause code: 2 comes up.  I do not travel out of my region very often so that is not the problem.  I do not have a third party messaging system either.  I would really like to get this fixed because one of the numbers I can't text is my cousin and it is irritating. 

I have tried the *228 thing, as well with no luck. 

I see above that one member is from Indiana, and I live there also.  I live in the SW part of the state about 30 miles north of Evansville, IN.  I sure would like some help. Thanks!

Hello IUDodger!  Thanks for posting!

One question, how are these two contacts saved in your device (7, 10 or 11 digit numbers)?  Are they listed as your Phone contacts, Google or Facebook?

Looking forward to your response so I can further assist!

0 Likes
Re: Text message issues with HTC Incredible
jaxeng32

I have a HTC Incredible and have been receiving the error message for months now.  I have tried using a 3rd party messaging app AND i have used the one installed on the phone.  I have had the same problem for 3 phones now, that verizon has replaced with refurbished phones.  It still continues to happen.  I seem to get the message when there is not much of a signal, which just happens to occur at the 2 places I'm at the most, my home AND my work.  I have done hard resets, pulled the battery, *228 option 1 and 2 a multitood of times.

Anyone have any other suggestions???  So far, for me, the incredible with verizon has very UNincredible.

0 Likes