1 2 Previous Next 10 Replies Latest reply: Jan 21, 2014 4:55 AM by rcschnoor RSS

Family plan, removing a line

therealjaster

Hello,

I have a family plan with two lines. one of which I no longer use. Does anybody know how much it would cost me to remove it and switch to a individual plan? Thanks.

• 1. Re: Family plan, removing a line
          spottedcatfish

It depends on if the line is still under contract.  If it is under contract, you will need to pay the Early Termination Fee.  If it is not under contract, then changing your plan and disconnecting the line is free.

• 2. Re: Family plan, removing a line

Thanks for all the replies.  In addition to canceling and paying an Early Termination Fee you could find someone else to pick up the line.  It is called an Assumption of Liability (AOL).  An AOL can be completed by phone and it only takes a few minutes. The account owner should call 1-800-922-0204 and have our customer service representative note authorization for AOL including the name of the person assuming liability for the number or numbers to be transferred. Then have the person assuming the number should call the same number and our AOL team will complete the transaction.

Thank you.

• 3. Re: Family plan, removing a line
              therealjaster

Ok and if I am still under contract, which I am, how much would it cost me for the early termination fee? Thanks.

• 4. Re: Family plan, removing a line
                SuzyQ
                The ETF is determined by the type of phone that was purchased at the start of the contrat term, and how much time is left on the contract.

Smartphones/Blackberries - $350 less $10 for each month of contract fulfilled

Feature / regular phones - $175 less $5 for each month of contract fulfilled
                • 5. Re: Family plan, removing a line
                  barisdemir

Hello,

Thank you for your responses.

I have an additional question (sound a little dumb).

Once we pay the cancellation fee, do we get to keep the phone OR do we also need to return the phone for the line that I am cancelling. (in this case it is an Iphone 4)?

Thank you very much,

Baris

• 6. Re: Family plan, removing a line
                    SuzyQ

barisdemir wrote:

Once we pay the cancellation fee, do we get to keep the phone OR do we also need to return the phone for the line that I am cancelling. (in this case it is an Iphone 4)?

Thank you very much,

Baris

Yes, you keep the phone - you purchased it (at a discount), then paid the ETF for breaking the ocntract early, effectively paying for the phone outright - it's yours to do with as you please.  Sell it, gift it, whatever.....

• 7. Re: Family plan, removing a line
                      annoyedcustomer95

how do you go about canceling just one line on a family plan. I have four months left on the contract but can't handle paying for everyone else and need to be on my own. i just can't figure out how to get my own line off. i want to switch

• 8. Re: Family plan, removing a line
                        tikibar1

If you want to keep your line/phone number and have your own Verizon plan, you and the current plan's Account Owner could do an Assumption of Liability; see if this helps:

https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/948844#948844

If you want to cancel the line altogether, you (actually the Account Owner since they are responsible for all lines on the account) would need to pay an Early Termination Fee for the four months left on your contract.  Cancellations have to be done through Customer Service.

• 9. Re: Family plan, removing a line
                          docette102

If the phone is month to month can it be removed with out cost and the number kept even if transfering to another carrier or do we have to change the number?

1 2 Previous Next