5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 7, 2011 1:05 PM by spiffyw RSS

Restocking fee

Cindy70

I have been a Verizon customer for many years now, and have been very happy with the customer service they provide until recently.  I was due for an upgrade and I chose the Samsung Fascinate, unfortunately before doing research on this model.  Just hours after I received the phone the screen went black and it was froze.  I was unable to power off the phone so I had to take the battery out.  The problem continued so I called customer service and was told this was a common problem with this phone, and was sent a new Fascinate.  I received the next day and within 24 hours this phone also had same issues.  I then call tech support and was told again this is a known issue and that I should try a different phone, but I would have to pay a $35 restocking fee?????  I don't understand that policy.  If I just decided I didn't like the phone and wanted a different one I could understand the fee, but I have not had a properly working phone since day one of my purchase.  I really like the Fascinate and wished it worked fine so I could keep it.  They are sending me a 3rd Fascinate to try because I refused to pay the restocking fee.  Very aggravated with this policy, makes no since when you have a defective product!!!

• 1. Re: Restocking fee
          CharmingPhlsphr

You are given two options pertaining to the exchange: Defective on Arrival, which allows you to get the same type of phone without the restocking fee or exchanging it for a brand new phone of a different model with the restocking fee. Verizon Wireless will take the hit if you are trying to get the same device as a Defective on Arrival, but if you are going to go to a different model, you will be charged because the original can no longer be sold as new.

• 2. Re: Restocking fee
            vereyezuhn

The restocking fee is Verizon's policy. If you had exchanged the phone within 3 days of purchase, you would not have to pay it. Now, since you've used it, they have to sell it as a refurbished device, which loses them a LOT of money. That's what the restocking fee helps cover.

Just be glad you're still within your 14 day return/exchange period, otherwise you'd be REALLY unhappy.

• 3. Re: Restocking fee
              Cindy70

I received a call from Verizon today and she told me that I was given incorrect information.  I should not be charged a restocking fee if my phone is defective, and I  have been advised to go to a different phone.  The 3rd phone was just delivered, and I have my fingers crossed that it works. 

• 4. Re: Restocking fee
                vereyezuhn

Cindy70 wrote:

I received a call from Verizon today and she told me that I was given incorrect information.  I should not be charged a restocking fee if my phone is defective, and I  have been advised to go to a different phone.  The 3rd phone was just delivered, and I have my fingers crossed that it works. 

Glad you got it sorted out. Good luck with the new phone!

• 5. Re: Restocking fee
                  spiffyw

vereyezuhn wrote:

The restocking fee is Verizon's policy. If you had exchanged the phone within 3 days of purchase, you would not have to pay it.

is this true?

I haven't even recieved the phones I ordered two days ago...i want to exchange them without even opening the boxes...CS still wants to charge the 35 restocking per phone.