8 Replies Latest reply: Sep 7, 2011 2:08 AM by mxr695 RSS

HTC Droid Incredible - Power Cycling

Phinfan15

I am having issues with my Droid incredible powering itself off. For months it worked with no problem at all, now it happens constantly. It will be fine and out of nowhere it shuts itself off and as it is powering back on, many times it will actually cycle off again before it completes it's reboot. On multiple occasions it has had to be "factory data reset" as all apps are wiped out once it finally finishes cycling on and off. 

I have tried limiting any installed applications to ensure that they are not the problem, and am still getting the issue. The only things on the phone are the items initiated at set up (contacts from backup assistant, gmail account, facebook account, yahoo mail account, and twitter) and it is still happening. Verizon sent a replacement phone, and within the first 3 days, it happened three times without me being able to even install any apps.

Has anyone run into this, know what may be causing this, or hopefully how to fix it?

• 1. Re: HTC Droid Incredible - Power Cycling
          Phinfan15

I have to update this now to...I have had the new phone for 4 days and now have had to factory reset it 6 times as I had to do so three times last night, one of those times being that I had to go to the hboot screen as I couldn't even get to the factory data reset option in settings.

This should NOT be happening like this. Please help!!!

• 2. Re: HTC Droid Incredible - Power Cycling

I agree, this should not be happening. It sounds like you have already done quite a bit of troubleshooting. Normally, I would recommend a factory reset and not installing any apps right away, but that's already been done. I have seen a few cases of the Incredible rebooting, but not nearly as often and not with a replacement also. I would recommend having the device replaced again. I understand it can be a hassle exchanging phones, but this is not happening with every single incredible and sounds like you may have two bad phones. 

• 3. Re: HTC Droid Incredible - Power Cycling
              samike

My wife has had the incredible for a little over a year and has been having the same issue the past month or so.  The phone also seems to be overheating which then causes the shut down and reboot.  We have had it to a store and they completed a factory reset but the phone continues to have the same issues.  We've replaced the batter with no luck.  Since the phone is over a year old, Verizon will not replace so we're stuck with a useless phone until January 2012.

• 4. Re: HTC Droid Incredible - Power Cycling
                EdW_VZW

samike wrote:

My wife has had the incredible for a little over a year and has been having the same issue the past month or so.  The phone also seems to be overheating which then causes the shut down and reboot.  We have had it to a store and they completed a factory reset but the phone continues to have the same issues.  We've replaced the batter with no luck.  Since the phone is over a year old, Verizon will not replace so we're stuck with a useless phone until January 2012.

Hi Samike,

Has the overheating issue continued? In overheating, what specifically are you noticing that is happening to your device? Is it not functioning properly? The longer you use a device, the warmer it can get because of the electric current running through it for its operation. What is warm to one person could be hot to another person; but I desire in getting your device working properly. In getting your phone replaced, you do have a one year warranty on the device from the date of purchase. If your still having the issues with your device, please send me a private message. I can address the concerns and help get the device replaced. 

• 5. Re: HTC Droid Incredible - Power Cycling
                  lexuslady

I don't understand how this problem is solved.  My phone has started to do the same thing, and all of the searching I can find there really is not a solution.

Mine starts the rebooting usually when I am using the internet, and it is VERY frustrating when trying to accomplish a simple task like a google search.

What are the solutions?

• 6. Re: HTC Droid Incredible - Power Cycling
                    richardsara
                    Mine has been doing the same thing. My husband kept telling me that I just use it to much or I need to stop breaking phones....lol, I did actually break one of them. But this is rediculous, I can't even get online sometimes before it freezes then shuts down. I have noticed when it does this the back feels hot. My brother in-law who works for Verizon told me to take the battery out for a while then it should be fine. Well I did that and was still having issues. So I talked to him again and he said to turn the power offf for like an hour a day so it can rest. Yup tried that too....doesn't matter still powers itself down when it feels like it. I am glad its not just me and I am not the only one this is happening to. Just proves that I am not breaking it....there is just a problem with it. What is the solution if it is no longer under warranty? Just deal with it until your contract is up?
                    • 7. Re: HTC Droid Incredible - Power Cycling
                      AntonioC_VZW

richardsara wrote:
                      Mine has been doing the same thing. My husband kept telling me that I just use it to much or I need to stop breaking phones....lol, I did actually break one of them. But this is rediculous, I can't even get online sometimes before it freezes then shuts down. I have noticed when it does this the back feels hot. My brother in-law who works for Verizon told me to take the battery out for a while then it should be fine. Well I did that and was still having issues. So I talked to him again and he said to turn the power offf for like an hour a day so it can rest. Yup tried that too....doesn't matter still powers itself down when it feels like it. I am glad its not just me and I am not the only one this is happening to. Just proves that I am not breaking it....there is just a problem with it. What is the solution if it is no longer under warranty? Just deal with it until your contract is up?

Hi richardsara,

If your phone is no longer under warranty we can still provide you troubleshooting steps that may resolve the issue and you can still benefit from future software updates (if any) developed by the manufacturer. Since you already did a soft reset (battery pull) I would recommend to do a Hard Reset to your phone. This will bring your phone back to factory settings and will resolve any issues resulting from corrupted system files or 3rd applications conflicts. 

Please keep in mind that performing a hard reset will remove ALL data including the Google account, system data, application data, application settings, and downloaded applications.

• 8. Re: HTC Droid Incredible - Power Cycling
                        mxr695

Actually doing a hard reset or Factory Data Reset will NOT always fix it, these htc incredibles tend to get hot and laggy and tend to power cycle even after doing any of the resets trust me I know between my wife and I Verizon changed (14 PHONES) out in 3 weeks all phones persisting with the same problems ,FREEZING, POWER CYCLING,. Even received a set out of the LIKE NEW BOX , AKA REFURBISHED and had to do a Factory Data Reset on 2 devices within 45 minutes of receiving the phones, And No there were not any apps present on the phones ,   The phones we are currently using work decent enough and we just got tired of sending them in . In all honsety the Droid Incredible is a great device , But like any phone It has its problems and yes to the Verizon Employees you might know the text book data but the actual real life data is totally different .