2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 31, 2009 3:53 PM by MAX658 RSS

Prepaid Plan - SIM card

I am wondering if I would be able to buy a SIM card (with no phone) on a prepaid plan. I just want to buy a SIM card because I travel a lot, and a prepaid plan would be more affordable. 

• 1. Re: Prepaid Plan - SIM card
          Not with Verizon you wont. Sorry
          • 2. Re: Prepaid Plan - SIM card

VERIZON  = CDMA :

SIM cards are used with carriers that operate on the Global System for Mobile Communication Or G.S.M .

that operate on a system called  T.D.M.A

The competing network is Code Division Multiple Access CDMA a technology created in the U.S. By the company Qualcomm.

As of fall 2005, CDMA cell phones and CDMA carriers do not support SIM cards in most parts of the world .

this might be changing. A CDMA SIM card called the R-UIM (Re-Useable Identification Module) was made available in China in

2002, and might eventually be available worldwide.

Code division multiple access

CDMA is a special coding scheme where each transmitter is assigned a code to allow multiple users to be multiplexed over the

same physical channel

CDMA was first used by the military and uses spread-spectrum technology, decreasing potential interference while achieving privacy.

Time division multiple access is a channel access method for shared medium networks.

It allows several users to share the same frequency channel by dividing the signal into different time slots.

The users transmit in rapid succession, one after the other, each using his own time slot.

This allows multiple stations to share the same transmission medium (e.g. radio frequency channel)