1 2 3 4 Previous Next 30 Replies Latest reply: Nov 6, 2011 11:09 PM by arika24 Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Trade in program is a scam

Bri728
      I was given a Droid X by a friend and had that activated at the same time that I did a New Every 2 and got the iPhone 4 for my fiancee. I myself would like an iPhone, but because I've been a customer of Verizon's for 15 years, and not a non-customer looking at them for service, then I would have to pay $700.00 (not sure how that works). So I looked at the Trade- in program and thought I could use the two Blackberries that I have and the Droid X and see how much I could get to put towards an iPhone. Guess how much on the trade in program for each Blackberry, $20.00!!! The same Blackberry that you can go buy certified pre-owed for $350.00. So Verizon is going to give me $20.00 for something they will sell for 17.5 times more. What a scam. Way to take care of existing customers Verizon. You stink.
        • 1. Re: Trade in program is a scam
          vereyezuhn
          Wow. Really? How can you even complain about this? You were quoted a price BEFORE you traded it in, and you didn't do it. You don't have to trade your devices in, you do understand that, don't you? You're literally complaining about a program that offers you money for something you no longer use. Sell your phones on craigslist.

Also, you would have to pay full price for the iPhone because you already used your upgrade for your husband. Your line is in a new contract because of that.
          • 2. Re: Trade in program is a scam
            spottedcatfish

I'm not sure you understand the definition of scam.  If Verizon had told you that the phone was worth $100 and then only gave you $20 for it, that would be a scam.  I believe what you want to say is that the Trade-In program is not a good deal, which is absolutely true.  If you're willing to sell your phone on your own, you will certainly get more money for it, you pay for the convenience of just mailing it in and getting a gaurenteed amount for it.

If you wait for one of your lines to become eligible for an upgrade, you'll be able to get a discounted phone.  Until then, you'll need to come up with the cash for the full retail price, or buy a used device.

• 3. Re: Trade in program is a scam
              bri7281

I understand why I need to pay full price.    Like mentioned, Verizon customer for almost 15 years.   It's hog-wash.    Verizon and every other cell company out there do very little for existing customers.   I understand they give deals to non-customers to bring them in.   They do nothing to show you you are a valued customer once you're signed on.   And don't tell me that they give you the opportunity to get a new phone every two years.   They give you the opportunity to go pay another $100.00 or more and you think they are the best.    You should be able to pay the sign-on price of the phones whenever you want if you are willing to extend your contract for another two years.   

I will sell it on craigslist.   I actually didn't think of that until after.    I didn't get a quote before.   I was on where you can upgrade a phone online and it takes you into where you can select a phone.    The used version of the phone I have was showing for $350.00.   The trade in said I'd get $20.00.     That is not a big deal to anyone, but me?    I'm not ready to end it all over this, but that it really urks me.

• 4. Re: Trade in program is a scam
                bri7281

Call it what you want.    They will give you $20.00 for a phone that they will turn around and sell for $350.00.    Sounds like a scam to me.    Not for nothing, the credit received is a Verizon gift card.   I'm giving them the money right back.    I will be looking at Craigslist.   I hadn't thought about that right away.    I just get upset when these enormous companies have no idea what customer service is and refuse to take care of existing customers.   

• 5. Re: Trade in program is a scam
                  vereyezuhn

bri7281 wrote:

Call it what you want.    They will give you $20.00 for a phone that they will turn around and sell for $350.00.    Sounds like a scam to me.    Not for nothing, the credit received is a Verizon gift card.   I'm giving them the money right back.    I will be looking at Craigslist.   I hadn't thought about that right away.    I just get upset when these enormous companies have no idea what customer service is and refuse to take care of existing customers.   

It's an OPTIONAL program, that Verizon recently put into effect. I still don't understand how you can be upset about this, but I guess people will get upset about anything really. This isn't a "scam" - a scam would have been if you were quoted $150 for your used phone, and they only gave you $20. That's not what happened. I do agree that the amounts they offer for phones is absolutely absurd. I got quoted $8 for my perfect condition EnV3. Seriously? I sold it on Craigslist for $150. Some people have actually used this program to get extra money towards an upgraded phone. I think it's great if you want to trade in an old phone that you'll never use for a little money. I, however, would rather donate most of my old working phones to women's shelters. To each their own.

• 6. Re: Trade in program is a scam
                    bri7281

Yes, the trade in program is a recently added OPTIONAL program. Thank you so much for informing me that I have the option to use it or not. {please keep your posts courteous}

I guess some of my frustration is coming from the fact that the new every 2 program is going away. Are people aware of this? Will there be another program that will allow me to buy a new phone every so often without needing to pay the retail? I looked forward to knowing every two years I could get a new phone at only $100.00, and not $400.00. I'm just voicing my frustration where I thought it was allowed, not scrutinized.

• 7. Re: Trade in program is a scam
                      budone

bri7281 wrote:
                      Yes, the trade in program is a recently added OPTIONAL program. Thank you so much for informing me that I have the option to use it or not. {please keep your posts courteous}

I guess some of my frustration is coming from the fact that the new every 2 program is going away. Are people aware of this? Will there be another program that will allow me to buy a new phone every so often without needing to pay the retail? Nothing has changed. You will still be able to get a subsidized phone at the 20th month of your 24 month contract. The price of the device will be the same as a new customer. The add'l NE2 credit of $50 is gone.I looked forward to knowing every two years I could get a new phone at only $100.00, and not $400.00. I'm just voicing my frustration where I thought it was allowed, not scrutinized.

• 8. Re: Trade in program is a scam
                        bri7281
                        Oh, ok. Thank you Budone. I had spoke to two sperate Verizon reps over the last two weeks. One to help me with the back up assis before getting a new phone, and then one this past weekend. Both mentioned the program was going away, but didn't get specific. The in store one from this past weekend said it was going away and that there probably would be some other promotion. So it's not completely going away. I'd rather not be giving Verizon that $50.00, but it's still a good program.
                        • 9. Re: Trade in program is a scam
                          vereyezuhn
                          Deleted after reporting OP of this thread.
                          1 2 3 4 Previous Next