8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 6, 2011 9:08 PM by DianeH RSS

Samsung Galaxy Tab and Mobile Hotspot

DianeH

I am looking to upgrade my USB data card so I stopped in the Verizon Store last week.   The salesperson showed me a Samsung Galaxy Tablet and told me that that could take the place of my card.   Since I have 2 other laptops, I was told this tablet works like the MiFi also.   The only monthly charges I would incur would be for my Gig plan - I.E.. $50.00/month for 5 gigs (or whatever plan I choose).

I also called Verizon Wireless Sales and was told the same thing.

Is this true and has anyone used this tablet as a MiFi to connect their other computers?    On other newsgroups that I belong, no one seems to be using the tablet in this manner.

• 1. Re: Samsung Galaxy Tab and Mobile Hotspot

Hi DianeH!

Thanks for the great question!  You can use the Galaxy Tab as a mobile hotspot.  The usage for the hotspot would come out of your broadband allowance. As you mentioned, if you have the 5G B/50$/month plan, all data access would come out of the 5GB including the hotspot. 

Read more about the Samsung Tab here!

Have a great day!

• 2. Re: Samsung Galaxy Tab and Mobile Hotspot
            nh1garry

I was told the same thing and have one. I have hand nothing but trouble trying to hotspot, it will not even run 1, let alone 5. I have tryed it at different locations, even driving to  2 different towers. It just will not work. It will work for a couple minutes and then it just stalls out. I have called tec support and have been very disappointed, they have been of no help. They have traded units with me and the new one works just the same. It will not hotspot, DO NOT BUY IT FOR THAT! I put my USB card in and it works perfect. The tab will go to the sites on its own just fine. But will not hotspot it.       

• 3. Re: Samsung Galaxy Tab and Mobile Hotspot
              DianeH

Thanks Adam   but I am still confused.

I have a tablet on order (still backordered) so I called their sister store.  The salesperson there told me that I COULD NOT use it as a hotspot unless I paid an additional $20/month for 2 gigs.   According to her and her supervisor, I would be paying $50.00 per month for 5 gigs - JUST FOR THE TABLET.  Any other data usage would require an additional plan..

VERY CONFUSING...

So what is it!!!!   And is there some place on the website that I could take to the store and show them!!!.  

• 4. Re: Samsung Galaxy Tab and Mobile Hotspot
                DianeH

Garry,

Have you taken the tablet to a local store and have them set it up....

• 5. Re: Samsung Galaxy Tab and Mobile Hotspot
                  DionM_VZW

DianeH wrote:

Thanks Adam   but I am still confused.

I have a tablet on order (still backordered) so I called their sister store.  The salesperson there told me that I COULD NOT use it as a hotspot unless I paid an additional $20/month for 2 gigs.   According to her and her supervisor, I would be paying $50.00 per month for 5 gigs - JUST FOR THE TABLET.  Any other data usage would require an additional plan..

VERY CONFUSING...

So what is it!!!!   And is there some place on the website that I could take to the store and show them!!!.  

Hi DianeH! Sorry for the confusion. Let me provide clarity. You have the option of purchasing the Galaxy Tab for use on a dedicate wireless line or not. If you have selected the dedicated line option (as you have just described), then one of the monthly service charge plans is $50.00 per month for 5GB (as you have just described) for the tablet to use for access to the internet. If you would like to use the Galaxy Tab as a mobile hotspot, then you can add an optional Mobile Hotspot feature to give you 2GB for $20.00 per month. The 2GB allowance is exclusively for other devices to use for access to the internet through your tablet. 

• 6. Re: Samsung Galaxy Tab and Mobile Hotspot
                    DianeH

Dion,

Please see the answer from Adam - from Verizon above...  

That is why I am confused...... 2 Verizon personnel with 2 separate answers...

SO now my dilemma is......

1 - Stay with my USB connection

or

2. Go with the store that charges me $50 - for the tablet and hotspot combined....

By the way,  I belong a number of newsgroups who have members using the tablet as a hotspot - no extra charge.  

Very interesting dilemma!!!

• 7. Re: Samsung Galaxy Tab and Mobile Hotspot
                      DionM_VZW

DianeH, you are quite right and I am deeply sorry for the information I provided. Adam and I have found that you may have the 5GB data plan, and that usage of the mobile hotspot feature would be included in the 5GB allowance. Therefore  you would not need the additional 2GB mobile hotspot feature. 

• 8. Re: Samsung Galaxy Tab and Mobile Hotspot
                        DianeH

Thank you all - :-))