1 2 3 4 Previous Next 33 Replies Latest reply: Jun 24, 2011 2:50 PM by rcschnoor RSS

When I lose my unlimited data, VZW will lose me.

VZWCustomer

I really hope these rumors about the tiered data pricing are false.  I currently pay $30 for unlimited data.  If I renewed my contract with the rumored tired data plan I'd be paying $30 for only 2GB.  VZW claims that the average user uses less than 2GB anyway.  This is crap.  I am nowhere near a "heavy" user, but I've already gone over 2GB with a week still left in my billing cycle. There are other carriers that provide unlimited data, cheaper plans AND they have better phones.  I've been with VZW for nearly a decade, but when I lose my unlimited data, VZW will lose me.  

• 1. Re: When I lose my unlimited data, VZW will lose me.
          Lockup

If the average user does not use more than 2GB a month and you have already used more than that in three weeks I would say you are a pretty heavy user.  If you are streaming video or music it is not hard to use that much data but if you are not you really have to be trying to use that much data just surfing the web and using apps. 

I feel your frustration for this but I think you underestimate how heavy of a user you are. 

• 2. Re: When I lose my unlimited data, VZW will lose me.
            rcschnoor

VZWCustomer wrote:

I really hope these rumors about the tiered data pricing are false.  I currently pay $30 for unlimited data.  If I renewed my contract with the rumored tired data plan I'd be paying $30 for only 2GB.  VZW claims that the average user uses less than 2GB anyway.  This is crap.  I am nowhere near a "heavy" user, but I've already gone over 2GB with a week still left in my billing cycle. There are other carriers that provide unlimited data, cheaper plans AND they have better phones.  I've been with VZW for nearly a decade, but when I lose my unlimited data, VZW will lose me.  

You may not be a "heavy" user, but it does seem that you are an "above average" user.

Edit: It has been rumored that with the tiered data plans, this will be for new subscribers. You will not be forced into the tiered data plans even if you upgrade. Time will tell, though. Rumors only, so far, nothing concrete from Verizon.

• 3. Re: When I lose my unlimited data, VZW will lose me.
              podstolom

Current users on the unlimited data plan will be grandfathered until the USER changes his plan. Upgrading phones will qualify for the grandfathering.

Because of the grandfathering, I'm debating wether or not to upgrade my data plan from the $15/150 Meg to the current $30/unl before the 7th..my bill cycle changes on the 2nd...

Hopefully VZW clarifies details and pricing before then.

• 4. Re: When I lose my unlimited data, VZW will lose me.
                Igedit

VZWCustomer wrote:

You're sure a lot heavier user than I am.

We have 3 smartphones on our family plan and I paid $90 last month for <500 Mb of data total.

Usage-based pricing can't come fast enough for me. I'm hoping for some sort of family sharing of data when these changes roll out.

• 5. Re: When I lose my unlimited data, VZW will lose me.
                  smdellinger

I agree!  And to me it's not about how heavy of a user you may or may not be.  It's about the service.  Many other companies have the unlimited everything option, and that seems so EASY to use, no tracking anything.  They use their phones with no worries, and it's one price.  Yet Verizon is going the opposite direction.  My contract is up in August and I'm shopping around with other companies already. 

• 6. Re: When I lose my unlimited data, VZW will lose me.
                    Verizon is a corporation that sells a product. They can price their product as they wish. If you don't think it's worth the price, move on to a different provider.
                    • 7. Re: When I lose my unlimited data, VZW will lose me.
                      Lockup

jimfitzgerald wrote:
                      Verizon is a corporation that sells a product. They can price their product as they wish. If you don't think it's worth the price, move on to a different provider.

I am sure nobody on this forum realized this or read it the other 250 times you have posted something like this.

• 8. Re: When I lose my unlimited data, VZW will lose me.
                        rcschnoor

smdellinger wrote:

I agree!  And to me it's not about how heavy of a user you may or may not be.  It's about the service.  Many other companies have the unlimited everything option, and that seems so EASY to use, no tracking anything.  They use their phones with no worries, and it's one price.  Yet Verizon is going the opposite direction.  My contract is up in August and I'm shopping around with other companies already. 

Except for the worries that they will have service at all.(As I hand off my phone yet again so that a T-Mobile customer can make a phone call)

• 9. Re: When I lose my unlimited data, VZW will lose me.
                          Tidbits

smdellinger wrote:

Good luck there :smileyhappy: make sure they have services required for you to use.  I'd rather pay more for something that works nearly 100% of the time vs. paying 20-30% that only works 50% or less of the time.
                          Also like to add T-Mobile is folding(They are selling) and going back to Germany.  AT&T will Acquire them.  Sprint has been gaining slowly, but their Wimax venture isn't panning out so they have wasted a lot of money and will move to LTE with Lightsquared and dumping more money with them.  I see them folding sometime soon own their own discorded ways.  A regional carrier might be best for you if you don't travel :smileyhappy:
                          1 2 3 4 Previous Next