9 Replies Latest reply: Jul 7, 2014 8:50 AM by Fawndallas RSS

Data Usage Charges

CBearsDada

I have the following "Usage Type/Event Description" on my detailed Data Usage Charges screen:

PAYGO $1.99MB 3G HNDST356

I understand that this is the $1.99/mb usage rate, but is there anyway I can found what this was (mobile web, etc).  I'm trying to get a handle on my daughter's charges and this keeps popping up every month.  Does Verizon charge her line whenever someone sends her a text with data attached?

• 1. Re: Data Usage Charges
          spottedcatfish

CBearsDada wrote:

I have the following "Usage Type/Event Description" on my detailed Data Usage Charges screen:

I understand that this is the $1.99/mb usage rate, but is there anyway I can found what this was (mobile web, etc).  I'm trying to get a handle on my daughter's charges and this keeps popping up every month.  Does Verizon charge her line whenever someone sends her a text with data attached?

There is no way to track what the data was used for, just how much of it was used.  Things that use data include the Mobile Web, certain applications (like Social Beat, an app that can connect to networks like Facebook), and browsing or downloading apps from the "Get It Now" store.  If your daughter has a text package on her line, then picture and video messages are included, so that is not the source of the charges.

• 2. Re: Data Usage Charges
            DME

Just posted for the same thing. My son has every data block possible on his phone and I am being billed $1.99 every month. I even left his phone unattended for two days and it shows data when no one touched it! We see this on the Crux he has, but not on the Cosmos or Dare the other two kids have. Looking for help in resolving from VZW, but skill level appears not to be there to assist.

• 3. Re: Data Usage Charges
              EdW_VZW

CBearsDada wrote:

Thank you for your inquiry. Adding to what was stated, the message from above about PAYGO $1.99MB 3G HNDST356 sounds like its referring to the Backup Assistant. As long as that line is registered on My Verizon, a limited one credit of $1.99 should be reflected on the billing statement once per billing cycle. Please review your billing statement carefully to see if the credit is present. Also, data usage is not based on whether or not a phone was touched within the last couple of days. Its based upon if any data usage was incurred from the beginning of a bill cycle that goes until the end of the bill cycle. In other words, you can use data 3 days after a bill cycle started and then not use any data at all for 2 days afterward. The two days of not using data does not eliminate the 3 days that data was used. Data attachments are not used in text messaging but in picture messaging or email. For example, you can send a picture and attach another picture to that same message for it to go to someone. As long as you have a unlimited texting/picture messaging package on that line, it should not be billed for that message with the attachment. 

• 4. Re: Data Usage Charges

DME,

If your son is being charged data daily, when not using the phone, I would check to see what types of games/applications he has. Maybe he has a subscription to an application that does updates often. You can go to Media Center>Info>View log to see what applications are installed. Also, we can make sure the feature Block Data is added to his line which prevents any $1.99 charges for data. 

• 5. Re: Data Usage Charges
                  dadvzsamsung

Review your monthly charges.  Our data usage for the month was 9.71 GB as of 9/18/11.  At that point I turn off the router, until 9/21/11, the new month.  The data usage did not change from the 9.71 GB from 9/18 to 9/20 (by checking through my iphone).  I checked my bill for the month and found a $10 charge for 1 additional GB of data.  Verizon removed the charge, stating that the usage was rounded up.  We did not exceed 10 GB as shown on Verizon reporting system, therefore, this should not have happened.

• 6. Re: Data Usage Charges
                    budone

dadvzsamsung wrote:

Review your monthly charges.  Our data usage for the month was 9.71 GB as of 9/18/11.  At that point I turn off the router, until 9/21/11, the new month.  The data usage did not change from the 9.71 GB from 9/18 to 9/20 (by checking through my iphone).  I checked my bill for the month and found a $10 charge for 1 additional GB of data.  Verizon removed the charge, stating that the usage was rounded up.  We did not exceed 10 GB as shown on Verizon reporting system, therefore, this should not have happened.

Never mind, I see you checked usage via another means.

• 7. Re: Data Usage Charges
                      dadvzsamsung

You can go to your account an review data usage.  That was done through my iphone which is thru ATT.

• 8. Re: Data Usage Charges
                        budone

dadvzsamsung wrote:

You can go to your account an review data usage.  That was done through my iphone which is thru ATT.

Yeah I caught that, that was why I deleted what I wrote after I saw the iPhone connection.

• 9. Re: Data Usage Charges
                          Fawndallas

"Backup Assistant" is an UPLOAD