Blackberry won't charge unless it's connected to a USB port!
Dawr

I lost the original charger for my blackberry bold. It's not an issue, because since most phones have standardized the USB charging cord, I have a lot of them laying around from other phones/family members phones. The problem is that my Blackberry won't charge with the wall outlet. Every time I plug it in I get the error message "The charging source connected to your Blackberry device cannot charge your battery" and some garb about it not being a sufficient power source or something. I have tried multiple cords, plugged into multiple wall adapters (The kind that has the slot to plug in the USB cord, that then plugs into the wall) and even multiple wall outlets! The only way my phone will charge is if I have it connected to my computer, and I leave the laptop open. I used to be able to choose any old charger I had lying around and it would work just fine. But recently, not only has my battery been draining faster (I have to charge it AT LEAST once a day, and that's in stadby when I haven't even used it for texting!) I have to struggle to find a way to charge it back up. The only way I've been able to charge it recently is taking it to work with me, and charging it by plugging it into the computer there and leaving it, or like I mentioned before, plugging it into my laptop and leaving the laptop open.

I haven't done any upgrades to the OS recently, and I don't understand why I need like a holy grail power source in order to charge my phone. I've used other phone chargers intended to be phone chargers (not USB cords plugged into wall adapters) and they don't work either. Does the blackberry curve need a *~*~*special*~*~* charger or is my phone just broken?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Blackberry won't charge unless it's connected to a USB port!
Spiral
Master - Level 1

Actually it sounds like your battery is failing.  It happens and what you described are the common symptoms. 

If your phone is still in warranty you may be able to get a replacement from Verizon.  If not, I recommend that your purchase a replacement battery from somewhere like Amazon (I would avoid eBay) as their prices are very reasonable.

FYI; I use my LG charger for my BB Bold all the time with no problems.  Recommended output for charging a BB is 700 ma (0.7 A), check your chargers for this output level.

Good luck.

0 Likes
Dawr

aw really? That sucks.

Thank you for the quick response.... I gues I'll take it to the verizon store first and see what they say, and if they deem the battery failing, then I'll start looking for a replacement.

0 Likes
ThreeP

Dawr, I am experiencing the exact same thing.  The only way I am able to get the phone to charge is taking out the battery and rebooting the phone. My phone is not even 4 months old!  I doubt that it needs a new battery!  What I have noticed about when it will not charge the battery indicator at the top left corner gets a little black and white plug instead of a yellow bolt.  When this happens I know it will not charge and that I have to remove the battery and reboot.  Have you noticed this too?

0 Likes
Not applicable

Hello ThreeP!

You shouldn't have to go through all that work to charge your phone! Have you tried different chargers for the phone? Are you using the charger that came with the device? Does this happen every time you charge your phone? If your phone is only four months old, you should still have a warranty on the device. We would be happy to further investigate the issue for you. Please send me a direct message with your name and mobile number if you are still experiencing the problem.

Thank you!

Katie H

VZW Support

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
B33
Legend

That what i thought that O.E.M charger should be able to charge it as well Unless there is something Wrong i would take it to a Corporate Store an have them check it out an if there is an Issue have them get you new One. Ones on line can be found for as low as $15.00 B33

0 Likes
LALontoc

I have the same problem Katie H. Just today, I found that my verizon car charger didn't work with my BB Curve 8350 but when i plug in the USB on the charger, it's just fine.

I thought maybe it was a software problem but I have the latest version. I'm interested in hearing solutions.

Thanks,

Lee

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Here's A couple Car Chargers that I highly Recommend for your phone to use in you Car the first is a Motorola an can be use with other Mobile Phones an as you can See it has To USB Ports to Charge so two phones can be charged at Once. the other charger is a Black Berry OEM Charger an i had one of these and they are a good Charger..

BlackBerry PlayBook Motorola Dual Port Micro-USB Car Charger

Product Description

The Motorola Dual Port Micro-USB Car Charger is a stylish and portable in-vehicle accessory,  designed to charge your phone's battery. Simply plug it into your car's  vehicle power socket and connect it to your phone - enjoy unlimited talk  and standby time, while your phone is charging! Fits most in-vehicle  power port sockets. This unique design features a universal USB dual port to charge  additional accessories while your phone is charging.

Features:

• Dual Charging
  • Use Device While Charging
  • OEM Motorola Charger

On Some Car chargers for phones they have mave a Fuse that's in them an to Get it:  If it has one is up at the Nose of the Charger if you Grab the Nose an can Un-Screw it the Fuse as i said is in there. If it's were the Charger is a solid style charger them you can't Replace it as it's got Non Serviceable parts in it. Basically a throw away!  an when you said it would not work but using a USB did you might have a Broken Wire in that Car charger..

BlackBerry PlayBook BlackBerry Micro-USB  Car Charger

0 Likes
ksquared17

Hi Katie,

I came across your reply when searching for information about my Blackberry Bold. I, too, am experiencing the same problem as ThreeP. In order to charge my phone, I have to take out the battery and let it power up again, and then plug it in immediately. I have had my phone for less than a month. It does not matter which charger I use, it does the same thing with all of them. I have tried the cord that came with the phone plugged into the wall and the computer, I have tried my cords from previous blackberries and my car charger. Please let me know if there is a solution to this, as it can be annoying and inconvienient to charge my phone. Thank you!

Kristyn

P.S. I tried to send you a direct message, but it would not allow me to.

0 Likes
2Rich2

Hi Katie,

I have the Bold 9930 and did not have this problem until recently when I installed a software update.  I now have the 7.1 Bundle 457 (v7.1.0.163, Platform 5.1.0.137), which I believe is the most recent update.  It doesn't happen all the time, but often when I plug it in to charge I get a picture of a plug on the battery instead of the lightning bolt.  That's when I know it's not charging even if the battery isn't close to being fully charged.  It doesn't matter how I try to charge the BlackBerry, whether it's via USB to my computer or to an outlet.  The only way to fix it, as far as I can tell, is to pull the battery, let it reboot, and then plug it in again.  It's not the charger since once I do that the lightning bolt appears and the BlackBerry charges fine.  I have to think it's a software glitch.  Are there any patches or solutions? 

Rich

Message was edited by: 2Rich2

0 Likes