Pantech Jest HELP for those with battery problems - you'll thank me!
momtrab6
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have owned the Pantech Jest for over a year now and really like this feature phone.

when i first got it it began to malfunction after the 1st week.

went through all the frustrations and problems many of you have had with this phone, but I liked it so much i refused to give up on it.

verizon sent me a new battery, a replacement phone, - nothing seemed to work.

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE HAD CHARGING PROBLEMS/PHONE DYING PROBLEMS WITH PANTECH JEST:

here's what I discovered :

SOLUTION 1:

Fully charge your new phone BEFORE any applications, updates, downloads, etc. Just let it fully charge!

SOLUTION 2:

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER let the battery run down to dead or even to 1 charge symbol (I'll call it a "block").

the jest must be charged regularly WITHOUT letting it die out comletely.

i now, regularly charge my phone at 2 blocks and NEVER have a problem with it anymore!   I have charged it with 1 block left and it still charged. However,  If you get down to 1 block and let that go for a while - until almost dead - it will NOT take the charge.

You will know this because when you plug it in, it will NOT progressively flash the charging blocks but show all FOUR blocks at once as though it is fully charged. when you unplug it, it dies almost immediately. (sound familiar?)

SOLUTION 3:

Should you happen to let the battery die down completely, or if the battery is not taking the charge - (must have progressively flashing blocks) - you will need to buy an external battery charger.  I bought mine from Radio Shack for about $30. Ive only used it a few times as I rarely let my phone die out comletely.  But when I have, IT WORKS EVERYTIME!!!!!!  You place the battery in the charger, lining up the charges, and let it fully charge. you will get a blinking light showing that it is taking the charge. it will be fully charged when the light stops blinking and is just constant and green.  Put it back in your phone and voila! the phone works again! :smileyvery-happy: 

REMIND YOURSELF NOT TO LET THE BATTERY DIE DOWN,

REMIND YOURSELF NOT TO LET THE BATTERY DIE DOWN

REMIND YOURSELF NOT TO LET THE BATTERY DIE DOWN....AND IT WILL ALWAYS TAKE ITS CHARGE PROPERLY.

(get that External Battery Charger from Radio Shack  as your backup, should you let the battery die down)

(if you try and update your contacts, download applications BEFORE you FULLY CHARGE  your phone, you will also have problems)

have a nice day

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Pantech Jest HELP for those with battery problems - you'll thank me!
momtrab6
Enthusiast - Level 1

Oh, and one more thing,

That External Battery Charger is worth the investmest as you can use it for other flat batteries as well :smileywink:

View solution in original post

0 Likes
momtrab6
Enthusiast - Level 1

Oh, and one more thing,

That External Battery Charger is worth the investmest as you can use it for other flat batteries as well :smileywink:

0 Likes
vt102

Yes. Thank you.

I've had this problem with my son's phone. He let the battery drain too far and now it won't recharge in the phone. I read elsewhere on the internet that the problem is that the 3.7V battery drops below a threshold of about 3.4V. Once it does that, the phone does not "see" the battery and will not attempt to charge it. I managed to boost the charge manually with 3 AAA batteries, a multimeter, and a resistor.

The phone is working normally again.

I couldn't find the device you mentioned at Radio Shack, but you can search Amazon for a "universal mobile cell phone battery charger.

Good luck to anyone else stuck with this faulty phone.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Thank you for your suggestions!

0 Likes
VeryUnoriginal

I just checked my battery with a multimeter and it came out at around 2.6v. Can you give some specifics on what resistors you used and how you did that? I would be forever grateful!

0 Likes
semralj
Enthusiast - Level 1

Using another posts suggestion, I plugged the phone into the computer USB port. It must have reset something, because the battery started charging. Finished the charging process with the charger in the outlet. Yet one more Jest issue averted. Thanks all!

basicphoneuser
Enthusiast - Level 2

I updated the software on my Jest when I got it about a year and a half ago, and it fixed all of my phones problems.  Just a suggestion if anyone is ever still having troubles 🙂 you might try that too Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

0 Likes
Shelita
Enthusiast - Level 1

OMGosh,  thanks!  My son suggested that I do that when my phone drained completely and wouldn't charge,  but it was your note that made me decide to try plugging it into the usb port.  The battery even seems to be holding the charge better.  Such an easy solution -you made my day!! 

0 Likes