HTC Thunderbolt shutting itself off?
Ranger1744

Has happened twice.  Both times over night when plugged into charger.  Any ideas?

0 Likes
Re: HTC Thunderbolt shutting itself off?
tiffydelane

Mine has done that too everal times. During the day and overnight. I would also love to know why!

0 Likes
Ranger1744

From HTC:

Thank you for your email regarding your HTC Thunderbolt. We apologize for the issues you have experienced with the device powering off while attempting to charge. For this issue, our options are somewhat limited.

First, remove any third party applications that may be installed on the device to make sure they are not causing a software conflict. To do this, tap Menu on the Home screen>Settings>Applications>Manage Applications. Locate any third party programs you have installed, tap on the listing and select uninstall. Once this is done, or if you do not have any third party programs, perform a soft reset. This is done by powering the device off and removing the battery for approximately 5-10 seconds. After this, reinsert the battery and test operation.

If the device continues to shut off while charging, attempt a factory data reset on the phone. To do the hard reset, press Menu>Settings>SD & Phone Storage>Factory Data Reset. This will remove all data from the device and reload the current operating system. As such, you will want to back up any personal information remove the micro SD card, if present, prior to following the above steps. If needed, you can back up your contacts to the SD card by opening the people application and select Menu>Import/Export>Export to SD card. You should only need to select the Phone contacts as the Google and Exchange contacts should already be saved to their respective sources.

If the issue is still present, you may wish to contact our repair department. They can be reached at 1-800-229-1235, 8:30 am to 5 pm EST, Monday through Friday. Feel free to contact us again should you have any further questions. If you feel more comfortable discussing issues by phone, you can contact Technical Support at 1-866-449-8358, 6 am to 1 am EST, 7 days a week.

0 Likes
pkwarren423
Enthusiast - Level 1

Seems like an inappropriate response since this is such a widespread problem.  It has happened to me also but not when charging but when sitting on my kitchen table not plugged in.  

ggmom

Love the phone except for the fact that it shuts down at odd times. Also when it shuts down it will not charge, plugged in, nothing happens. Tried hard and soft reboot, no 3rd party apps. Had it 2 weeks, shut down 4 times. Not able to charge. Along with the battery problems it does not seem to be worth the hassle. Considering the cost, I am not a happy camper!

0 Likes
BamaBulldog

Today is Monday.  I got my new HTC Thunderbolt two days ago--Saturday.  It has spontaneously shut itself down at least 5-6 times on BOTH Saturday and Sunday.  The very first time I powered it on, I heard the cool "thundering" sound and saw the red thunderbolt.  However, since then, it does not make that sound when it powers back up anymore.  Also, I keep getting a message that there's no internet service...but I have WiFi in my home.  (My husband has the "new" iPhone 4, and his service is working fine.)

I'm very disappointed.  I waited a long time to go get a new phone, and I chose the Thunderbolt b/c of all the "rave" reviews.  Since I have 14 days to return it, I guess I'll be doing that this afternoon. 

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

bamabulldog.....fyi....if you do it today, you won't have to pay the $35 restock fee (no fee within 3 days).

0 Likes
gina7289
Contributor - Level 2
Mine reboots off and on. And when I'm charging it does shut off. I have the new update. After it does this then when I go into a Verizon app like NFL mobile I have to log in to my Verizon profile before I can use the app. Ugh.
0 Likes
efd843
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am on my fourth, yes fourth replacement HTC Thunderbolt in a week.  Mine keeps shutting off, internet is super slow and now the latest device also wont recognize my memory card.  Its not third party apps its obviously a software issue.  Totally ridiculous for the money I paid for this phone and the amount I pay for data usage.

bpavlick

Mine reboots more than shutting itself off completley... It has only shut completley off once. I have contacted many different people about the issue and all have different answers. This is what I found, my phone always reboots at work which is in a roaming 1X zone. Once it switches from 1X to 3G and vice versa, this is when it always reboots. Also the same issue from driving in many rural areas. Another issue is, on occasion, during the 3G to 4G switch, there is no web data. All applications (Google, Youtube, etc) show "No data connection". I can only get data if I do a manual resart of my phone. It looks like it is obviously a tower/software  issue, and not a hardware issue, which is somewhat of a relief to me because I went from the Incredible to the Thunderbolt and I love "Sense". I switched the phone out for a Samsung Charge and absolutley HATED IT!!! The phone SUCKS. Super laggy, Cheap feel to it  and it seems to have somewhat of the same isses when jumping from 3G to 4G. Needless to say I went back to my local Verizon dealer and got my Thunderbolt back. I talked with a "Higher Up" in my area and both Verizon and HTC are well aware of the issue and are dillegently working on it. So when you call Verizon to tell them about this same issue and they reply with, "I am sorry to hear about this problem" and "This is the first I heard of this issue" which is what these people are directed to say, you know that it is **bleep**..... I am just happy to know that the 2 are working together to get a fix because I love the HTC Bolt...

0 Likes