6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 25, 2011 7:41 PM by lewisr13 RSS

Change of Account Holder - Loss of New Every Two?

dmmontal

Hello,

I'm a first-time poster here writing to ask for confirmation on a conversation I had with a Verizon customer service rep last night.

My parents and I are on a Family calling plan together with three lines. My father is the account holder (though the primary line is my cell phone). I recently discovered that I am elligible for a corporate discount through my employer, so we called to discuss how to transfer the account into my name. The Verizon rep mentioned that I would need to sign the liability form and undergo a credit check, etc. - all fine.

My question is in regards to the Verizon rep mentioning that I would lose my New Every Two upgrade if we transferred the account into my name. We have had this account for well over two years, so we are currently not on contract. We have not upgraded any phones on the account since opening it - I have been eagerly awaiting the Droid Bionic, and had been hoping to upgrade if/when it comes out later this year.

I was a bit suprised to hear that I would not be elligible to upgrade any more if the account is transferred to my name - the rep was telling me I would need to upgrade prior to making the change, and tried selling me on the Droid Charge instead. This does not make sense to me, as she confirmed that we would not be signing a new contract - everything would be the same, just in my name instead of my father's. I don't understand why this would cause me to lose my upgrade elligibility. Does this sound right?

Thanks for your help

• 1. Re: Change of Account Holder - Loss of New Every Two?
          budone

So you receive the NE2 discounts, not your father???  If so, i would call again. But my understanding is the account Owner gets the NE2 discount. Even if another number is primary.

I thought the primary was based on where it fell in the numerical order. The lowest numbered phone was primary, but there could be a different account owner.

• 2. Re: Change of Account Holder - Loss of New Every Two?
            mdram4x4

dmmontal wrote:

Hello,

I'm a first-time poster here writing to ask for confirmation on a conversation I had with a Verizon customer service rep last night.

My parents and I are on a Family calling plan together with three lines. My father is the account holder (though the primary line is my cell phone). I recently discovered that I am elligible for a corporate discount through my employer, so we called to discuss how to transfer the account into my name. The Verizon rep mentioned that I would need to sign the liability form and undergo a credit check, etc. - all fine.

My question is in regards to the Verizon rep mentioning that I would lose my New Every Two upgrade if we transferred the account into my name. We have had this account for well over two years, so we are currently not on contract. We have not upgraded any phones on the account since opening it - I have been eagerly awaiting the Droid Bionic, and had been hoping to upgrade if/when it comes out later this year.

I was a bit suprised to hear that I would not be elligible to upgrade any more if the account is transferred to my name - the rep was telling me I would need to upgrade prior to making the change, and tried selling me on the Droid Charge instead. This does not make sense to me, as she confirmed that we would not be signing a new contract - everything would be the same, just in my name instead of my father's. I don't understand why this would cause me to lose my upgrade elligibility. Does this sound right?

Thanks for your help

you would still be eligible to upgrade, based on your contract end date

wheat she was referring to was the $30/$50 ne2 credit.  its this that you may lose, not your upgrade status

now with that said you may lose it soon anyway.  its only good 6 months from the date your are eligible for it

or 6 months from jan 16th 2011, the date they no longer offeres the plan.  whichever comes last

• 3. Re: Change of Account Holder - Loss of New Every Two?
              dmmontal

So if I understand correctly, the NE2 deal and an "upgrade" are two different things? In which case it is only the NE2 deal that would no longer be eligible? If I wanted the "upgrade" that would still necessitate the signing of a new contract, correct?

I was confused about this because a previous Verizon sales rep had told me about a year ago (still after I completed the 2 year contract) that the only way to get a discount on a new phone was to re-sign - speaking with him, it was as if the NE2 deal and the "upgrade" were one and the same.

• 4. Re: Change of Account Holder - Loss of New Every Two?
                mdram4x4

dmmontal wrote:

So if I understand correctly, the NE2 deal and an "upgrade" are two different things? In which case it is only the NE2 deal that would no longer be eligible? If I wanted the "upgrade" that would still necessitate the signing of a new contract, correct?

I was confused about this because a previous Verizon sales rep had told me about a year ago (still after I completed the 2 year contract) that the only way to get a discount on a new phone was to re-sign - speaking with him, it was as if the NE2 deal and the "upgrade" were one and the same.

yes, the ne2 is a credit you got when you upgraded.  it helped lower the cost of the phone.

if you upgraded early (annual upgrade for primary line only) you did not get it

the ne2 applied only to the primary line on the account

• 5. Re: Change of Account Holder - Loss of New Every Two?
                  dmmontal

Ok I understand now - thanks for the help!

• 6. Re: Change of Account Holder - Loss of New Every Two?
                    lewisr13

I would double check on the loss of the NE2 credit. I did an AOL on my sister's line. At the time she was eligible for the NE2 credit before the transfer and was able to use it after the transfer along with upgrade pricing. Of course she had to enter into a new 2 yr contract.