4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 8, 2011 8:29 PM by AntonioC_VZW RSS

Coverage on St. John, USVI?

alicepalace

We are taking the trip of a lifetime to St. John in the U.S. Virgin Islands in a few weeks.  I supposedly have a national plan that would cover the U.S. but I hear that we could have trouble with coverage on St. John, and that even if I'm able to get a signal, it might be coming from the British Virgin Islands and I could be stuck with hefty charges because of this.

What can I do to ensure I have coverage on St. John?  Upgrade to an international plan for a month?  Get a pay-as-you-go phone from Nextel?

I'd be grateful for any advice here.  Many thanks.

• 1. Re: Coverage on St. John, USVI?
          budone

Unless on the western end, there is very little coverage for VZW customers on St Johns. Basically if you can see St Thomas you will be fine, otherwise you would be roaming from the British VI.

If you are going to use VZW, it is $1.29/minute to roam. (The VZW site states it is $1.99 to roam off of USVI towers. I never had any add'l charges when on St Croix) Be sure to have VZW turn on International Services on the phone(s) before leaving. And if you have a phone that has the option shut off data roaming. (Unless you want to use data.

British VI

USVI

• 2. Re: Coverage on St. John, USVI?
            alicepalace

Thanks for the reply!  Just to be clear:  So long as I'm willing to pay roaming AND I have VZW turn on an international plan, I'll be able to use my phone on St. John because other towers will be able to provide a signal?

• 3. Re: Coverage on St. John, USVI?
              budone

Yes, from what I read on a USVI forums I frequent. (I checked before I responded) West end of STJ you will hit US towers on St Thomas. Otherwise you hit towers on the British VI, which is CDMA like VZW.

• 4. Re: Coverage on St. John, USVI?
                AntonioC_VZW

alicepalace wrote:

We are taking the trip of a lifetime to St. John in the U.S. Virgin Islands in a few weeks.  I supposedly have a national plan that would cover the U.S. but I hear that we could have trouble with coverage on St. John, and that even if I'm able to get a signal, it might be coming from the British Virgin Islands and I could be stuck with hefty charges because of this.

What can I do to ensure I have coverage on St. John?  Upgrade to an international plan for a month?  Get a pay-as-you-go phone from Nextel?

I'd be grateful for any advice here.  Many thanks.

Thank for the great information budone!

In addition, please keep in mind that you can avoid any voice roaming charges if you set your phone system to home only as this will prevent the phone from accessing signal from towers outside the Verizon Wireless network. To prevent data roaming charges please disable the data roaming feature from your phone. I am not able to provide you instructions as your post does not indicate your phone model; however you can find more assistance online at the links below:

General Support Link

International Roaming Information