8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 20, 2011 1:25 PM by budone Branched to a new discussion. RSS

How do I GPS my phone?

Crist_Clapper

How do I track my cell-phone from my PC? 

• 1. Re: How do I GPS my phone?
          vereyezuhn

Unless you had the family tracker installed on the phone previously, you cannot. If you've lost it or it was stolen, make sure to call Verizon CS and report it as such so that no one can activate it if they find it.

• 2. Re: How do I GPS my phone?
            Crist_Clapper

Thanks.  I emailed customer service to see what I need to do to add Family Locator.

• 3. Re: How do I GPS my phone?
              vereyezuhn

Family Locator will only help find the phone if it's installed before the phone was lost.

• 4. Re: How do I GPS my phone?
                Crist_Clapper

FYI: I didn't 't loose my phone. 

• 5. Re: How do I GPS my phone?
                  budone

You can add family locator to your phone which makes zero sense unless you want someone else to follow you. But you can not add it to another unless on your account. But they know when it is on.

• 6. Re: How do I GPS my phone?
                    vereyezuhn

Crist_Clapper wrote:

FYI: I didn't 't loose my phone. 

I'm a little confused as to why you want to track it if it's not lost or stolen... Do you mean so you can track a current phone, such as a kid's phone just to see where the person is? That's a little creepy, I must say.

• 7. Re: How do I GPS my phone?
                      bnhsdad

Case in point: Daughter goes out on a bike ride last night. Takes her cell phone (but also has an iPod plugged into her ears). By 9:30 (very dark out) she's not home and doesn't answer her phone. I'd like the ability to track the location of the phone if needed. I don't care if she wants to turn off that feature if she wants, that will be a "trust based" issue between her and me. But... I'd like that feature to be available.

Issue: She has an LG EnV Touch (not a smart phone); I have an iPhone; my son has a droid based smart phone.

I'd rather have a "free app" versus a monthly fee as I hope to never use it.

Is there something available that will work between the 3 phones listed?

• 8. Re: How do I GPS my phone?
                        budone

bnhsdad wrote:

Case in point: Daughter goes out on a bike ride last night. Takes her cell phone (but also has an iPod plugged into her ears). By 9:30 (very dark out) she's not home and doesn't answer her phone. I'd like the ability to track the location of the phone if needed. I don't care if she wants to turn off that feature if she wants, that will be a "trust based" issue between her and me. But... I'd like that feature to be available.

Issue: She has an LG EnV Touch (not a smart phone); I have an iPhone; my son has a droid based smart phone.

I'd rather have a "free app" versus a monthly fee as I hope to never use it.

Is there something available that will work between the 3 phones listed?

I understand your reasoning for having the ability to do it, but what about a wife wanting to track a hubby, or boyfriend tracking girlfriend, or even an account owner just wanting to be a pest and track another on the account. There are privacy laws to protect those on the account and VZW has no idea who you want to track. That is why it is a pay program.

That being said, if the device is a Smartphone there are free apps that allow you to track their movements.