6 Replies Latest reply: Jul 2, 2011 6:21 AM by reverendcook Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Changing Name on Caller ID

Flattery

Does tech support actually read through the email before they send out a generic response.

I sent an email saying that my mothers boy friend was the main user on one of my phones and that he died and now my mother is using the phone so I wanted to change the name on the caller ID from his name to her name and the response I got was so generic.

Here is the response I got:

My name is Evelyn, and I am sorry to learn your Caller ID is displaying incorrect name. The issue you have described may need to be duplicated with a live representative, as troubleshooting your Caller ID feature via e-mail is extremely difficult.  Please contact our Technical Support Team at 800-922-0204 from an alternate phone to speak with a representative who will walk you through step-by-step instructions to troubleshoot the issue. Please have your wireless phone fully charged and available when you call.

There is no trouble shooting! It is not an issue with the phone! I just want to change the name on the phone!  Before Verizon bought out Altel all I had to do was login online and change the caller ID to what ever, but now I cannot find where to change it with Verizon.  Then someone sends me a generic email without even reading my message.  To make it even worse it is sent from a "Do_Not_Reply" email address so I can not reply to the individual to show them their mistake so the only place I have to express is here.

Verizon: Please train your Techs to read and not send out Generic emails based off of keywords in the email! Angering customers is a good way to lose them!

• 1. Re: Changing Name on Caller ID
          budone

Verizon Wireless' official stance is they do not assign names to phones caller ID's. Just the state the number is from.

That being said, there have been threads in the last couple months stating names are now being generated on receivers end when calling from a cell phone, but the names are wrong.

• 2. Re: Changing Name on Caller ID
            Flattery

Before Altel was bought out by Verizon you could set it.  Why does Verizon charge more for less? This is a nice option to let people know who is calling.  It is very unfortunate that Verizon doesn't support this feature as other cell phone companies do.

• 3. Re: Changing Name on Caller ID
              budone

I absolutely agree.... It is funny VZW offers an option for us to blick our info being broadcast when we call someone, but we cant have our name show up if we want.

• 4. Re: Changing Name on Caller ID
                KinquanaH_VZW

Flattery, I am sorry you received a generic response for your question regarding the Caller ID on your account. We do not control the name that displays on the Caller Id of a persons home phone, business phone, or mobile phone when your calling. If a name displays on the caller ID of the person's phone your calling, it will be dependent on their carrier and the primary name associated with your VErizon Wireless account. If you have not changed the name on the current account your under, it will continue to display their name until changed in our system. In order to rectify this situation, you will need to perform an assumption of Liability to fully change the account into your name by speaking with customer service. 

KinquanaH_VZW

• 5. Re: Changing Name on Caller ID
                  budone

KinquanaH_VZW wrote:

Flattery, I am sorry you received a generic response for your question regarding the Caller ID on your account. We do not control the name that displays on the Caller Id of a persons home phone, business phone, or mobile phone when your calling. If a name displays on the caller ID of the person's phone your calling, it will be dependent on their carrier and the primary name associated with your VErizon Wireless account.

KinquanaH_VZW

I have a question then. Where I am the landline shows names for ATT, Sprint, customers. But if I call it, it shows only Michigan.Why??? Even when I am at friends who have a VZW landline,(well now it is Frontier)  it shows caller ID info for other wireless carriers subscribers, yet not VZW.

I do not believe it is a landline issue.

• 6. Re: Changing Name on Caller ID
                    reverendcook

I know that cellphone companies have the ability to rebroadcast names for each lines.  Which it can take up to 72 hours for the name to reflect, this is because it takes about 72 hours for most companies to refresh their network to accept these changes.  Although some companies use digital or Voice over IP services, such as comcast, in this case you must call them directly to get them to update their information.  You would need to call them after tech support has updated the information.

Flattery wrote:

Does tech support actually read through the email before they send out a generic response.

I sent an email saying that my mothers boy friend was the main user on one of my phones and that he died and now my mother is using the phone so I wanted to change the name on the caller ID from his name to her name and the response I got was so generic.

Here is the response I got:

My name is Evelyn, and I am sorry to learn your Caller ID is displaying incorrect name. The issue you have described may need to be duplicated with a live representative, as troubleshooting your Caller ID feature via e-mail is extremely difficult.  Please contact our Technical Support Team at 800-922-0204 from an alternate phone to speak with a representative who will walk you through step-by-step instructions to troubleshoot the issue. Please have your wireless phone fully charged and available when you call.

There is no trouble shooting! It is not an issue with the phone! I just want to change the name on the phone!  Before Verizon bought out Altel all I had to do was login online and change the caller ID to what ever, but now I cannot find where to change it with Verizon.  Then someone sends me a generic email without even reading my message.  To make it even worse it is sent from a "Do_Not_Reply" email address so I can not reply to the individual to show them their mistake so the only place I have to express is here.

Verizon: Please train your Techs to read and not send out Generic emails based off of keywords in the email! Angering customers is a good way to lose them!