3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 17, 2011 1:04 AM by spottedcatfish RSS

Want new phone, not eligible for upgrade. Options?

rlm768

I currently have a basic phone on a family plan with no frills. I want to upgrade to a smartphone, but I'm not eligible for an upgrade until next year. If someone gives me their old Verizon smartphone can I replace my current phone with the smartphone? I know that I would need to add on a data plan, but I would like to keep my current contract. Is this possible? Any help would be great! Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Want new phone, not eligible for upgrade. Options?
          mdram4x4

rlm768 wrote:

I currently have a basic phone on a family plan with no frills. I want to upgrade to a smartphone, but I'm not eligible for an upgrade until next year. If someone gives me their old Verizon smartphone can I replace my current phone with the smartphone? I know that I would need to add on a data plan, but I would like to keep my current contract. Is this possible? Any help would be great! Thanks in advance!

yes you can, as long as the esn is clean, a call to sucter service will verify it

you will need the data plan

you may be able to keep your contract, some older plans will have to be updated to newer ones

your contract date wont change

• 2. Re: Want new phone, not eligible for upgrade. Options?
            rlm768

mdram4x4 wrote:

rlm768 wrote:

yes you can, as long as the esn is clean, a call to sucter service will verify it

you will need the data plan

you may be able to keep your contract, some older plans will have to be updated to newer ones

your contract date wont change

What information do I need to find out if the esn is clean? I just call customer service to verify?

Do I have to add the data plan before, during or after switching phones?

My contract plan is within the last 18 months. I believe it's still current. If not and needs to be updated it would just be extended, right?

Thanks!!

• 3. Re: Want new phone, not eligible for upgrade. Options?
              spottedcatfish

rlm768 wrote:

What information do I need to find out if the esn is clean? I just call customer service to verify? You need the ESN off the phone, it's usually under the battery.  Find it and then call Verizon CS to verify.

Do I have to add the data plan before, during or after switching phones? You will be prompted to add the data plan when you activate the phone, so just do it then.

My contract plan is within the last 18 months. I believe it's still current. If not and needs to be updated it would just be extended, right? What mdram is referring to is the fact that some older, grandfathered calling plans (like the Connect or Select plans) are not compatible with newer devices.  If your plan isn't compatible and you try to actrivate the device, you will be prompted to change your calling plan to one of the new Nationwide Talk or Talk & Text plans.  This will not change your contract end date, because you can change plans with Verizon whenever you like, but it may impact your monthly bill.  When you call CS and ask about the ESN, you can also have them confirm that the phone is compatible with your current calling plan.

Thanks!!