1 Reply Latest reply: Feb 26, 2011 2:46 PM by SuzyQ RSS

Change Plan to Avoid Overage Charges - Best Way

sarahinc

Once or twice a year I go over my 450 minute plan. My last billing cycles was one of these times. I had a week left on my billing cycle, but had already significantly went over my 450 minutues so I logged into my verizon and upgrade my plan to the 900 minutues and back dated it to the beginning of my cycle. It is my understanding that I will then be billed during that billing cycle on the 900 minute plan.

The issue I run into is trying to move back to my 450 minute plan. The last time I did this we were told you could back date here as well. It turned out that it was untrue and that you cannot back date to a smaller plan. Thus I entered into a proration nightmare. Thankfully Verizon was very good about taking care of this, however, I don't want to run into that nightmare again. Thus, this time I went back in to my verizon and said I wanted to change my plan to 450 minutes and have it start on my next billing cycle. It is my assumption then that starting my next billing cycle I would return to the 450 minutues. Is this correct?

The issue I am having that is making me wonder if once again this isn't going to work out is that yesterday (2/25) was the last day of my billing cycle and thus should have been my last day on the 900 minute plan. Today (2/26) is the first day of my new billing cycle and I received an email stating that my plan has changed to the 450 minute plan, which theoretically is what I want. However, when I log into my verizon it says that I am over my 450 minutes, so I am wondering if it just hasn't been updated or if I am now going to get hit with a bill for all the minutes I went over 450. Thoughts?

Also, is there a better way to do this that I am missing. I only gover over my 450 plan a few times a year so it is not worth it to jut be a part of the 900 minute plan, however the few times I do it seems like such a nightmare to switch between plans bc someone I always end up getting screwed.

• 1. Re: Change Plan to Avoid Overage Charges - Best Way
          SuzyQ

sarahinc wrote:

The issue I am having that is making me wonder if once again this isn't going to work out is that yesterday (2/25) was the last day of my billing cycle and thus should have been my last day on the 900 minute plan. Today (2/26) is the first day of my new billing cycle and I received an email stating that my plan has changed to the 450 minute plan, which theoretically is what I want.All is good, this is exactly what you want.  However, when I log into my verizon it says that I am over my 450 minutes, so I am wondering if it just hasn't been updated or if I am now going to get hit with a bill for all the minutes I went over 450. Thoughts?  The information online will "freeze" for a day or two at the end of your billing cycle while your bill is generated.  You are seeing last cycle's numbers.  In a day or two, the new cycle will show, with the correct info.  Patience!!  If it still does not show when your minutes have reset, call.  But I think you will find it will be reset to the corrrect info  in a day or two.

Also, is there a better way to do this that I am missing. I only gover over my 450 plan a few times a year so it is not worth it to jut be a part of the 900 minute plan, however the few times I do it seems like such a nightmare to switch between plans bc someone I always end up getting screwed. What you are doing is a legitimate way....when you increase you minutes to higher allowance, BACKDATE to cover overages.  When you decrease minutes, FORWARD DATE to avoid overages... as to if it is the BEST, you will have to determine that.

If you feel it is too much of a hassle  (though changeing it online has become much simpler and clear, to me, than it used to be) then is it worth the extra $10 or $20 for the higher allowance on the months you don't go over?  Or worthpaying the overage charges ont he months you do?  Only you can decide which option is going to work best for you.