Changing number of rings till you get to voicemail
FDR1968
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi-

How do you change the number of rings it takes to get to voicemail?  Mine is set to 8 rings and I want to change it to 4.

Thanks!  Felice

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Changing number of rings till you get to voicemail
FDR1968
Enthusiast - Level 2
I spoke with Customer Care yesterday and they changed my number of rings to voicemail from 6 to 4. It can be done through Customer Care only. Call 611 from your cell phone.

View solution in original post

21stNow
Master - Level 1

FDR1968 wrote:

Hi-

How do you change the number of rings it takes to get to voicemail?  Mine is set to 8 rings and I want to change it to 4.

Thanks!  Felice

From searching around on Google, it seems that you would have to call customer care to see if it can be done for your phone.  If it can be done, they would have to make the change.

I saw some DIY instructions, but it was for AT&T phones.

AntonioC_VZW
Verizon Employee

Verizon Wireless phones are programmed to send calls to voicemail after approximately 30 seconds; this may be 4 to 8 rings depending on your ringtone selection. These settings cannot be modified.

AntonioC_VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
FDR1968
Enthusiast - Level 2
I spoke with Customer Care yesterday and they changed my number of rings to voicemail from 6 to 4. It can be done through Customer Care only. Call 611 from your cell phone.
group945
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have called verizon twice about this issue, and cannot believe this isnt an option.  At least that is what they tell me.  AT&T can do it with their iphones. 

Verizon claiming to be the largest network but lacking a feature here which is much needed in the business world.

Anyone know if this can be done via the operating system of the phone rather than network based?

jeremym
Enthusiast - Level 1

AntonioC_VZWSupport, 

" this may be 4 to 8 rings depending on your ringtone selection."

That's a silly thing to say, don't you think? If your ringtone is 60 seconds long (and this isn't unheard of) it would only be 1/2 of a "ring". 4 to 8 is as accurate as saying 1/10th to 500. (maybe my ringtone is only 1/30th of a second) 

Show that you have great intelligence by not saying any "number of rings". The number of rings is completely arbitrary. It's based on *time* and only on *time*. Sure, the time is an approximation that depends on how your call has been routed through the PSTN, but the actual number of rings on a cell phone is unable to be determined due to the infinite lengths of a ringtine.

Further, there are multiple accounts (google it) of people calling verizon and having the transfer time changed from 30 to 40 seconds. There are multiple accounts of verizon customers calling in and being told it can't be done, calling back and getting someone else who not only says it can be changed but actually changing it. This results in customers who wonder if you guys really have any idea what is going on out there.

Verizon really needs to get their story straight. The easiest way to do this is to make the approximate time before a voicemail transfer happens something that customers can configure via My Verizon. This is the most basic of basic functionality-- when I asked Southwestern Bell Telephone to change the amount of time before my home phone tranfered my calls to CallNotesin 1985 they had no issues doing that. It's hard to believe that their technology was more advanced in 1985 than a nationwide telephone carrier's technology in 2011.

Jeremy M

swandog
Enthusiast - Level 1

I spoke with Tech Support today 13 Jan 2012 by calling 611. The Tech advised that the number of rings, or the time for an incoming call to transfer to voicemail, is a capability that is dependent on the switching equipment in different areas of the country. Some equipment allows you to change the rings / time, other equipment is fixed. The standard default setting is 30 seconds, or about 6 rings. If you are in a part of the country where this can be changed, it can be extended to 40 seconds, or about 8 rings. I am in Southern California and he was able to make the change for my phone. The Tech also explained that, for my phone to recognize the change, i needed to turn off my phone, wait at least 10 seconds, and then turn it back on. This allows the network to update the phone setting to use the new ring time.

I forgot to ask if ring time could be reduced. Based on other posts, my guess is that, where possible, it can be reduced to 4 rings, or about 20 seconds.

Hope this helps. 

polyhawk

Three is the shortest that they can make it. For me, that's way too long but there's nothing I can do. One (or 2 max) would be better. I am losing calls ecause people won't wait

0 Likes
cjshahmeran

I just got off the phone with customer service about this issue. I was told that the option to change the time (number of rings) for an incoming call to transfer to voicemail is NOT AN OPTION available to those of us with PREPAID accounts. Just more of the "fine print" limitations that I am learning with this new phone of mine.....

0 Likes
Anomalythree
Enthusiast - Level 1

I use a verizon wireless home phone device so there is no ringtone length on my home phone. I do need to set the rings before pick up because of my home phone answering machine. I cant beleive this ins not on option.

0 Likes