1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply: Feb 21, 2011 8:37 PM by AntonioC_VZW RSS

Upgrade Early

MpXnpio

Hi everyone. I have a question about upgrading my phone. I will be eligible to upgrade on May 11th of this year, and I intend to get an iPhone. However, I will be going to Paris on the 9th, 2 days before my upgrade, for a vacation. I would REALLY like to have an iPhone on the trip so that I could use some of the sweet apps for traveling like Paris metro guides, city maps, language translators, etc. Do you think there is any chance they will let me upgrade a few days earlier (like on the 8th or 7th instead of the 11th) and still let me use my $30 credit and get the new contract price? Has anyone ever heard of successfully doing this? Thanks!

• 1. Re: Upgrade Early
          PJNC284

Do note that France is a GSM country so you won't have the ability to make calls or use anything requiring data (unless you're connected to wifi). 

• 2. Re: Upgrade Early
            walterkarroll

There is always a chance.  Do it through the contact us (email) on thier website.  You will have better luck.  Explain the situation you will run into.  They upgraded my 1 year a whopping 9 months sooner...It can be done.  Give it a shot, all depends who you talk to, but email always seems to be the most lient.  Although, they are now trying to inforce their policy more.  Give it shot though.  worse they will say is no.

• 3. Re: Upgrade Early
              mdram4x4

MpXnpio wrote:

Hi everyone. I have a question about upgrading my phone. I will be eligible to upgrade on May 11th of this year, and I intend to get an iPhone. However, I will be going to Paris on the 9th, 2 days before my upgrade, for a vacation. I would REALLY like to have an iPhone on the trip so that I could use some of the sweet apps for traveling like Paris metro guides, city maps, language translators, etc. Do you think there is any chance they will let me upgrade a few days earlier (like on the 8th or 7th instead of the 11th) and still let me use my $30 credit and get the new contract price? Has anyone ever heard of successfully doing this? Thanks!

i thought france was gsm and therefore the verizon phone wont work

oh and NO wait until your date

• 4. Re: Upgrade Early
                vereyezuhn

MpXnpio wrote:

I am in your same exact situation! Everyone's been telling me that a few days should be no problem to bump the upgrade up. I'm going to a Verizon store this weekend to try to get mine bumped up 4 days or so.. Except mine isn't for the iPhone.

• 5. Re: Upgrade Early
                  MpXnpio

I am well aware of the fact that France is GSM. I don't care about the calling, I just want to be able to use pre-downloaded apps. It will basically just function as an iPod touch while I'm there.

Verey: Please let me know if they let you upgrade 4 days early, because that would be perfect for me too!

• 6. Re: Upgrade Early
                    mdram4x4

MpXnpio wrote:

I am well aware of the fact that France is GSM. I don't care about the calling, I just want to be able to use pre-downloaded apps. It will basically just function as an iPod touch while I'm there.

Verey: Please let me know if they let you upgrade 4 days early, because that would be perfect for me too!

if the app requires data, it will not work

• 7. Re: Upgrade Early
                      MpXnpio

mdram4x4 wrote:

if the app requires data, it will not work

Yes, I know. There are plenty of apps that are quite useful that don't require data. Plus, if I needed to download something I could still use wifi. People need to stop informing me that I can't access a mobile network in France. I know that already.

• 8. Re: Upgrade Early
                        MARCUSAURELIUS

i just talked to a verizon rep via chat line.  my renewal date is 04/26.  she said i can upgrade early to get an iphone and verizon will waive the $20 fee for early renewal if i purchase before 03/11.         viva la france....

• 9. Re: Upgrade Early
                          Kyllle

I've gone in store and called CS twice, and every time gotten "sorry, it's locked into the system." Although one CS rep said If I called within a few days of the upgrade, they could maybe get it early. My upgrade is March 5, so only 2 more weeks anyways.

I'm gonna try the chat and email to see if I get any better luck.

1 2 Previous Next