3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 22, 2011 9:04 PM by RoyB_VZW RSS

Getting out of Contract

elfwinelf

- I wish there was a way to get out of the Verizon contract without having to pay $300.00.  I started this plan in December 2010 after I came back from a deployment and I purchased the 1400 plan for my wife and I.  She has the Octane and I have the Accolade.  The Accolade sucks; everything about it sucks, volume, camera, feedback, dropping of call, you name it, it sucks.

- Also, It took three months to get me the Government discount.

- On top of that, I have 4 separate charges on my Visa from three different Verizon stores and I purchased my phones on the internet.  All Verizon could tell me is to fight it through the credit card system.

Every time I call Verizon, they don't have the information from the last time I called.  Then I spend over an hour on the telephone trying to solve another Verizon problem.

- I had a simple Nokia phone in the Desert that was small and easy to use and I can by an new unlocked one for $80 but Verizon won't let me use it.

So I wish I could get rid of this plan and go elsewhere.  Is there anyway I can?

• 1. Re: Getting out of Contract
          spottedcatfish

elfwinelf wrote:

- I wish there was a way to get out of the Verizon contract without having to pay $300.00.  I started this plan in December 2010 after I came back from a deployment and I purchased the 1400 plan for my wife and I.  She has the Octane and I have the Accolade.  The Accolade sucks; everything about it sucks, volume, camera, feedback, dropping of call, you name it, it sucks. Your ETF will be $175 less $5 for each month of service that you complete for each line.  There's really no way out of it since you are past your 30 day return period.  You can activate a different phone on your line if you want to replace the Accolade.  You can buy something full retail from Verizon, or get a used phone online or from a friend.  Just make sure it is Verizon branded and check the ESN with Customer Service before you buy it.  You can also change your plan at any time if you'd like to downgrade to save money.

- Also, It took three months to get me the Government discount. It can take a few months for discounts to be applied to your bill because they have to be verified.  I believe Verizon states this up front.

- On top of that, I have 4 separate charges on my Visa from three different Verizon stores and I purchased my phones on the internet.  All Verizon could tell me is to fight it through the credit card system. How did these Verizon stores get your credit card information if you did all of your business online?  Did you visit them for service or help activating your phones?  If not, its possible your card was stolen, in which case you will need to talk to your credit card company.  They should have no problem reversing invalid or fraudulent charges.

Every time I call Verizon, they don't have the information from the last time I called.  Then I spend over an hour on the telephone trying to solve another Verizon problem. Welcome to a company with a low-paid, high turnover, badly trained CS workforce.  Sometimes you get a good rep, often you don't, it comes with the territory with any of the major cell providers.

- I had a simple Nokia phone in the Desert that was small and easy to use and I can by an new unlocked one for $80 but Verizon won't let me use it. It sounds like your Nokia was a GSM phone, Verizon's network is CDMA so it is not compatible.  There are plenty of basic flip-phones out there on the used market for Verizon though in the same price range.

So I wish I could get rid of this plan and go elsewhere.  Is there anyway I can? Pay the ETF or finish your contract.

• 2. Re: Getting out of Contract
            budone

In addition even if the phone you wanted to activate was CDMA, but not branded VZW with a clear ESN, you can not use it on their system. Their system, their rules.

As for the charges from stores. Which stores? Are they near you??? Have you or a family member paid your invoice at stores using the Kiosk???  As Spottedcatfish says, dispute and the card company will show you if you are correct. If billed incorrectly they will credit you.

• 3. Re: Getting out of Contract
              RoyB_VZW

First and foremost, I would like to personally thank you for all you do to serve our country as part of the United States military!

If after reading the above responses you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to send me a PM with your wireless and contact numbers, along with a good time to contact you, and I'll be happy to assist in any way I can. 

Thanks again, 

Roy_B