8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 18, 2011 2:22 PM by spottedcatfish RSS

Renewing conntract before being due for an upgrade

Bonez20

can i get a new phone and renew my contract before my upgrade date?

• 1. Re: Renewing conntract before being due for an upgrade
          vereyezuhn

No. Not without paying the ETF to break the contract, or paying full price for the phone. If you are the primary line on the account, you will be eligible for an annual upgrade one year after your purchase date.

• 3. Re: Renewing conntract before being due for an upgrade
            fire32man

I think these contracts are absolute **bleep**!!!!!!!  I mean I know its business but come on my wife and I pay about $190.00 a month !!! Been with VW for bout 8 yrs.  All I am saying is people spend out so much money for service and it seems like all u get is penalized, if u break out = $375.00 per line.  If u want to upgrade before contract is up = full price for phone =$700.00.  I sayin u pay out the {word filter avoidance} to these people and all the answers u get are NO!!!! or sure we can for $700.00!!!!!!  What happend to cust. loyalty?

• 4. Re: Renewing conntract before being due for an upgrade
              vereyezuhn

fire32man wrote:

I think these contracts are absolute **bleep**!!!!!!!  I mean I know its business but come on my wife and I pay about $190.00 a month !!! Been with VW for bout 8 yrs.  All I am saying is people spend out so much money for service and it seems like all u get is penalized, if u break out = $375.00 per line.  If u want to upgrade before contract is up = full price for phone =$700.00.  I sayin u pay out the {word filter avoidance} to these people and all the answers u get are NO!!!! or sure we can for $700.00!!!!!!  What happend to cust. loyalty?

It's called a contract for a reason... If they let you break it whenever you wanted, they have the right to refuse you service or do whatever they want to your service.

• 5. Re: Renewing conntract before being due for an upgrade
                SuzyQ

fire32man wrote:

...What happend to cust. loyalty?...

And what happened to the huge discount you got on the phone you currently have?   When you sign the contract, and get a deeply discounted phone, you agree to keep that line active for 12 or 24 months, and not ask for another discount until you have fulfilled the first contract on that line.

We have a family plan with 5 lines, and there is usually someone who is eligilble for a discounted phone - but the line that uses that discount doesn't get another for 20 months.  That's the agreement you make when you sign the 2 yr contract.  It's not that difficult to understand or abide by.

If you can't wait the 20 months, then consider a 1 yr contract - not as deep a discount, but you can get a new phone every 10 months instead of every 20 months.

• 6. Re: Renewing contract before being due for an upgrade
                  fire32man

Yeah OK huge discount?  they make up a fictitious price like $700.00 for a phone !  A phone people!!  A phone that was made by a man or woman in another country making about a nickel a day, and the manufacturer has about $30.00 in.   Then they give you your " upgrade discount " when in fact they are still making about 300% profit on it!!  Don't get me wrong I love my cell phone just as much as the next person but I haven't yet been brain washed into thinking that I'm getting a good deal from any cell phone service provider.......  I'm not trying to be argumentative here I'm just trying to say that its highway robbery anyway you look at it, and if you don't think so sit down sometime take your time and do the math. 

• 7. Re: Renewing contract before being due for an upgrade
                    vereyezuhn

fire32man wrote:

Yeah OK huge discount?  they make up a fictitious price like $700.00 for a phone !  A phone people!!  A phone that was made by a man or woman in another country making about a nickel a day, and the manufacturer has about $30.00 in.   Then they give you your " upgrade discount " when in fact they are still making about 300% profit on it!!  Don't get me wrong I love my cell phone just as much as the next person but I haven't yet been brain washed into thinking that I'm getting a good deal from any cell phone service provider.......  I'm not trying to be argumentative here I'm just trying to say that its highway robbery anyway you look at it, and if you don't think so sit down sometime take your time and do the math. 

How can you complain about these things when you can get a feature phone with Verizon FOR FREE if you abide by your contract and wait the 2 years? How is that not a discount?If you don't think it's a good deal, then switch carriers. Good luck finding any that charge less than Verizon. Also, if you haven't noticed, all electronics are priced high when they're first introduced. I mean, even the normal iPods are over $200 still. It's called being a large company and making a profit to sustain said company.

• 8. Re: Renewing contract before being due for an upgrade
                      spottedcatfish

While the $700 certainly does represent a mark-up over actual costs of production and shipping, that's true for any product.  In particular, you have to consider the research, development, design and marketting that goes into making these devices, and the need for any company to make at least some type of profit.

Compare the cost of smartphones to devices with similar technology that are ONLY offered at full retail price, like the iPad, Samsung Galaxy S and Motorola XOOM (its speculated price anyway).  Considering that these phones are smaller, similarly powerful, and have a few extra features, I think the price is quite fair.  Its a computer in your hand, and anyone who buys computers knows that the more power you need and the less size you want increases the price.