1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply: Feb 18, 2011 1:11 AM by grzina RSS

Iphone 4 smtp outgoing mail problems

badgerbrian1974

Hi,

I am trying to set up the outgoing mail with the iphone, however it fails everytime.

My works mail server doesnt accespt smtp requests from external Ips, so in the past on my Treo phone with verizon

I had a vzwmail.net account and used that to send my mail out.

On my blackberry i had no problems, however on the iphone i cannot send mail.

My collegue who has the att iphone has to use a att smtp server for his outgoing mail which works fine.

I tried to use  the smtp.vzwmail.net with my cellnumber@vzwmail.net but this no longer seems to be working (this is what i used with the treo).

I was told to try hostname: outgoing.verizon.net with port 587 by the apple rep,

however then it asks me for a usename /password of which i dont have.

I have tried my cell number as username, also my Myverizon username and password , all which fail.

How can i resolve this and be able to send mail.

Thanks

Brian

• 1. Re: Iphone 4 smtp outgoing mail problems
          AZSALUKI

this is just a guess, but i suspect you will have to actually set up a vzn mail account and use that username and password in order to use the outgoing verizon server.

• 2. Re: Iphone 4 smtp outgoing mail problems
            badgerbrian1974

and how is that done>?

also is the mail that will be recieved going to show the account that im sending from or the smtp account that its going through?

when i had gmail acount active on the phone, the outgoing would default to the gmail smtp , but the mail recieved would state it was from my gmail account as oppposed to my work email.

• 3. Re: Iphone 4 smtp outgoing mail problems
              AZSALUKI

i don't know how you set it up, but it will show up as coming from the sending server account....not your work account. i've actually done this with hotmail before on an old envy. it didn't like my outgoing server, so i used my incoming settings from my cox.net account and set up a dummy hotmail account just to use the outgoing server settings. it worked fine as a workaround but showed the hotmail on the other end (the recipient). what i did was "named" that account with my actual email address so it appeared to be coming from my cox.net account.....but if the recipient really looked, they would see that it was from my hotmail account.

• 4. Re: Iphone 4 smtp outgoing mail problems
                badgerbrian1974

Ok so i tried using my home Fios username and password, which worked perfectly, however this is my business phone.

Technically my business which has 10 or so phone with verizon should be able to do this.

• 5. Re: Iphone 4 smtp outgoing mail problems
                  rstand

Try going into your e-mail settings on the IPhone. Select the account you want (if you have more than one). Click on the SMPT outgoing mail server...click on the primary server and make sure the user name and password boxes are populated.

• 6. Re: Iphone 4 smtp outgoing mail problems
                    21stNow

badgerbrian1974 wrote:

Hi,

I am trying to set up the outgoing mail with the iphone, however it fails everytime.

My works mail server doesnt accespt smtp requests from external Ips, so in the past on my Treo phone with verizon

I had a vzwmail.net account and used that to send my mail out.

On my blackberry i had no problems, however on the iphone i cannot send mail.

My collegue who has the att iphone has to use a att smtp server for his outgoing mail which works fine.

I tried to use  the smtp.vzwmail.net with my cellnumber@vzwmail.net but this no longer seems to be working (this is what i used with the treo).

I was told to try hostname: outgoing.verizon.net with port 587 by the apple rep,

however then it asks me for a usename /password of which i dont have.

I have tried my cell number as username, also my Myverizon username and password , all which fail.

How can i resolve this and be able to send mail.

Thanks

Brian

Just to make sure that I understand your initial question, does your work email have a webmail function like Exchange does?  If so, you could probably set up mail on your iPhone using webmail, instead of your work server.

• 7. Re: Iphone 4 smtp outgoing mail problems
                      badgerbrian1974

webmail is an option but not the solution, as i said the outgoing works if i supply my home fios username and password.

what i fail to understand is why they do not allow you to use your businesses myverizon username and password, just because they dont subscribe to verizon mail.

• 8. Re: Iphone 4 smtp outgoing mail problems
                        Renee16442

What domain do you use for your work email?

• 9. Re: Iphone 4 smtp outgoing mail problems
                          Kristinas007

I'm having the same problem.

We use an Exchange server for our email at work with Microsoft Outlook.

When I went in to add the Exchange email account on my iPhone, none of the settings I plugged in would verify.

Next, I ditched those efforts and selected "other", where it was able to verify my domain with the user id and password. HOWEVER, it would NOT let me use SSL. I set it up that way anyway.

Voila, I was able to start receiving emails.

But, when I tried to send them, I got the SMTP relay error message....

hmmm

1 2 Previous Next