1 2 3 Previous Next 25 Replies Latest reply: Feb 14, 2011 3:14 PM by nanna24 RSS

Getting the iPhone 4 from Ebay.com??

Endless_Song

My upgrade is not going to be up for a while, so my question is couldn't I just buy the iPhone 4 from ebay and activate it without having to pay full retail price through the verizon store or apple? Because you're really just paying for the phone not the contract, so if I already have the phone couldn't I just activate it with the only fee to verizon being the possible activation fee?

I know that it that this action is possible because I have done such with a blackberry (about 6 months ago) that I got off ebay. I activated it for free and without having to extend my contract or any kind of that business. It was really simple and easy. The only thing that changed was the data plan I was currently paying for with my Omnia II was raised to the more expensive blackberry data package plan.

(However I did not keep the blackberry and switched back to the Omnia II--which frustrates me, but was a better fit for me than the blackberry.)

My ultimate question is, do you think it would be just as simple to activate an iPhone into my current plan as it was the blackberry? I don't want to spend the money on it only to find that I can't use it...

Thank you for your help.

• 1. Re: Getting the iPhone 4 from Ebay.com??
          mariismari

It should be the same process:smileyhappy: i've bought phones too & done that 

• 2. Re: Getting the iPhone 4 from Ebay.com??
            Endless_Song

Awesome! :smileyhappy: Thanks.

• 3. Re: Getting the iPhone 4 from Ebay.com??
              tdperry

Endless_Song wrote:

My upgrade is not going to be up for a while, so my question is couldn't I just buy the iPhone 4 from ebay and activate it without having to pay full retail price through the verizon store or apple? Because you're really just paying for the phone not the contract, so if I already have the phone couldn't I just activate it with the only fee to verizon being the possible activation fee?

I know that it that this action is possible because I have done such with a blackberry (about 6 months ago) that I got off ebay. I activated it for free and without having to extend my contract or any kind of that business. It was really simple and easy. The only thing that changed was the data plan I was currently paying for with my Omnia II was raised to the more expensive blackberry data package plan.

(However I did not keep the blackberry and switched back to the Omnia II--which frustrates me, but was a better fit for me than the blackberry.)

My ultimate question is, do you think it would be just as simple to activate an iPhone into my current plan as it was the blackberry? I don't want to spend the money on it only to find that I can't use it...

Thank you for your help.

Yes, you can buy one with a good ESN off of flEBay.  But realize, you will probably be paying even more for it than you would through the store or Apple.  Most of the 16 gig models I am seeing are running around $550 + and the 32 gig model even more.  The problem right now is that most of the IPhones you will find on there are going to be priced near normal prices (and the seller hopes to get more) than what you can go in and get it at.  Good luck, and if you do purchase one I hope you have no problems with a bad ESN.

• 4. Re: Getting the iPhone 4 from Ebay.com??
                meriden

Just make sure it is a Verizon iphone4...the at&t iphone's won't work with verizon.

• 5. Re: Getting the iPhone 4 from Ebay.com??
                  AZSALUKI

here's the deal. you need to BE sure that the seller is selling you an iphone for verizon and that it has a clean ESN. the vzn ip4 has to be activated originally, by the original purchaser. so if you find brand new iphones for sale, i'd be reluctant to buy it. i believe that the only ones that will work should technically be "used." also....check the prices...i don't think they are much less than full retail.

• 6. Re: Getting the iPhone 4 from Ebay.com??
                    nanna24

And pay attention to the shipping charges. I've seen the phones sell cheap but the shipping charges are outrageous.  Buyer beware on Ebay.

• 7. Re: Getting the iPhone 4 from Ebay.com??
                      Endless_Song

AZSALUKI wrote:

here's the deal. you need to BE sure that the seller is selling you an iphone for verizon and that it has a clean ESN. the vzn ip4 has to be activated originally, by the original purchaser. so if you find brand new iphones for sale, i'd be reluctant to buy it. i believe that the only ones that will work should technically be "used." also....check the prices...i don't think they are much less than full retail.

So instead of looking for a new ip4 I should be looking for a used? I would think used would be more risky. Why wouldn't I be able to activate it if I bought it new? Also, how would be able to check the ESN?

• 8. Re: Getting the iPhone 4 from Ebay.com??
                        tdperry

Endless_Song wrote:

AZSALUKI wrote:

So instead of looking for a new ip4 I should be looking for a used? I would think used would be more risky. Why wouldn't I be able to activate it if I bought it new? Also, how would be able to check the ESN?

When you (or the seller) buys one of the Verizon IPhone 4's under contract, they are REQUIRED to activate it (therefore, making it a used phone immediately) or the buyer will be charged full price.  The only exception to requiring it to be activated might POSSIBLY be buying it outright (but the last 3 Droid X's I did that with STILL required them to be activated - even though I paid full price for them).  To check the ESN, you might be able to email the seller and ask them for it and then check with Verizon CS to make sure it is clear.  I am not sure if Verizon will tell you or not tho' and there is always the possibility that the seller may have a valid ESN on a phone to give you - but it might not be the same phone they are selling.  I have seen that happen in the past.

• 9. Re: Getting the iPhone 4 from Ebay.com??
                          nanna24

If the seller bought the phone using their upgrade, they have to activate it first so they can accept the Terms and Conditions to extend their contract for two more years.  I honestly do not think you will be getting a deal on an iphone from Ebay.  Yes, you want it to be new, but it has to be activated by them first.

1 2 3 Previous Next