Getting authentication error when trying to send email from phone
shennings

This has just started happening, not sure what has changed.  Any advice would be appreciated

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Getting authentication error when trying to send email from phone
LatachaM_VZW
Verizon Employee

Thanks everyone for the responses. I just wanted to add some additional information. SMTP providers may require Authenticated SMTP or ASMTP. ASMTP uses some form of authentication (username / password, IP address, etc.) to verify that a sender is authorized to send messages using that particular server. If the provider uses an IP address or IP range for authentication, the user must establish a dial-up connection to the ISP / SMTP provider. This will ensure that they are assigned a valid IP address for authentication. Otherwise, attempts to send will fail.

If the provider uses a username / password combination to authenticate senders, the combination must be valid for both the incoming and outgoing servers. Some email clients do not support ASMTP that is independent of the incoming username / password. In these cases, the user may not be able to retrieve email from one provider and send using another.
Below I have provided the settings for your Mail.com account:
Incoming Server
pop1.mail.com
port: 110
Outgoing Server
smtp1.mail.com
Furthermore, your Wi-Fi will turn off if your screen saver becomes active .
To keep Wi-Fi from turning off when the screensaver becomes active:

Menu > Settings > Wireless & networks > Wi-Fi settings > Menu > Advanced > Wi-Fi sleep policy, select Never.
Thank you, LatachaM_VZW

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Fwow13
Contributor - Level 2
The starting advice would be to do a battery pull and/or removing your email account and reentering it.
0 Likes
shennings

No Luck, pulled battery and deleted - re added the account...

0 Likes
Fwow13
Contributor - Level 2
Is it a specific email message or anything you try to send? Are you still able to use your email on a computer? (could be a server issue)
0 Likes
shennings

Nothing spacific, it's anything I try to send.  Computer email - No problems

0 Likes
LoydroidX
Contributor - Level 3

shennings wrote:

This has just started happening, not sure what has changed.  Any advice would be appreciated

Could it be the settings, port, etc?  Do you think contacting your email service provider might help?

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Sounds like you ISP probally updated its security settings on its server, try removing the problem account and set it back up and see if it corrects the issues, some servers requires being reauthorized after a ISp system update. If that doesnt resolve issue contact ISP and verify setting with them to see if they changed the outgoing access port.

0 Likes
shennings

ISP says that the outgoing server requires authenication. - I dont see that option on the phone...

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

1. Open <y Settings

2. Click Account Name

3. Select Outgoing Server

4. Select Use Secure Connection

CAP201102101940.jpg

0 Likes
Ironglass

Had to jump into this thread to see if anyone can relate to my outgoing mail problem. I get the same error when trying to send mail out through my SMTP server from my mail.com account.

Brief story.. I received a Driod X "like new" replacement phone about a month ago. I set up my mail.com account and my hotmail account. Everything in both email accounts worked perfectly. I did not have a gmail account.

Well the "like new" Driod X had a problem. It would just shut off and reboot during a phone call. So I asked for another Droid X and got it 2 weeks ago. This time I did set up a gmail account so I could move my contacts to the phone from Outlook.

I set up the 2nd Driod X email accounts exactly the same way as the first and could not send out going mail through my mail.com SMTP server (hotmail works fine) and got the authentication error message. After changing security  and port settings and playing with the thing for hours I gave up and put the Goggle outgoing mail setting in and it worked.

The problem with that is the outgoing mail has the gmail address and not the mail.com address of my business.

How could this be? Is Google forcing me to use their mail service? Is there an app that will let me sync with outlook and also route my email through my .com server?

PS the 2nd "like new"  Driod replacement phone needs to be returned. It will not hold a wifi connection.

0 Likes