3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 23, 2012 5:55 PM by johnm27616 RSS

Upgrading prepaid Phones

fluffy21

Im just wondering since IM Prepaid would I be able to upgrade my prepaid phone to another one or just have to buy a new prepaid phone?

• 1. Re: Upgrading prepaid Phones
          spottedcatfish

Because prepaid accounts are not under contract, they are not eligible to upgrade at reduced prices.  If you want a different phone, you will have to buy it at full retail price, or get it used from another source.  You can buy prepaid branded phones, or some models of postpaid phone can also be used with prepaid when purchased at retail price.

• 2. Re: Upgrading prepaid Phones
            fluffy21

ok thank you very much

• 3. Re: Upgrading prepaid Phones
              johnm27616

"Correct Answer by spottedcatfish  on Feb 4, 2011 2:40 AM

Because prepaid accounts are not under contract, they are not eligible to upgrade at reduced prices.  If you want a different phone, you will have to buy it at full retail price, or get it used from another source.  You can buy prepaid branded phones, or some models of postpaid phone can also be used with prepaid when purchased at retail price."

Actually that answer is not Correct:
              Verizon Wireless will not activate either a used prepaid phone nor will they activate a new prepaid phone with a good ESN (from eBay, for example).  I checked today at the Falls of the Neuse Road location in Raleigh and CSR at store said you have to pay full price if you want to upgrade....say, for example, from the $50/month prepaid plan to the new $80/month prepaid Smartphone plan (phone is Samsung Illusion at $169.99)  Neither does VW have any promotion  to give you credit for your old phone when upgrading to a higher-price...CSR recommended shopping third-party resellers on Google or Amazon,but phone price there was equal to or higher than the VW price...very unfortunate...I was looking to upgrade to take advantage of the new $80/month prepaid Smartphone plan, but don't feel like paying $170 just to upgrade....

<This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be locked.>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator