1 2 3 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply: Apr 11, 2011 8:07 PM by pdxyota RSS

$15 data plan and customer service problems

sudznbubblez

I'm looking for information on Verizon's cababilities to follow through on the promises their CSR/sales people make? I currently have a $15 data plan, and within the next day or two, I want to activate a smartphone I just purchased.

My current phone is a Nokia Twist (multimedia phone), and last week, the mirror on the back of the phone cracked.  The screen is fine, the phone works fine, I was going to just deal with the mirror until I sliced my finger on the broken glass.  I decided it was time to search for a new phone.  I wanted to replace my broken phone with a Blackberry Curve because I use my phone primarily for email and texting.  I also want the calendar and to-do list features.

I wanted to upgrade data plans (was at 9.99/25mb) and info on Blackberry pricing.  CSR was very friendly, gave me prices on several CPO blackberries, but I end the conversation bc I wanted to check phones out myself online.  He told me the $15 data was a promotion and ending soon, and he recommended upgrading as soon as possible.

Looked at phones online, and found a blackberry on Overstock.com which was about 75% cheaper than Verizon phones, and Overstock offers a replacement warranty which includes damage.  I called Verizon to discuss data plan options before I made any purchases to make all my ducks were in a row.  CSR explicitly assures me the Blackberry I'm purchasing on Overstock will be fine with a $15 data plan. I upgrade my data plan, and go order my blackberry.

Checking online yesterday (Feb. 2), I see the $15 data plan is gone.  It disappeared rather quickly so I wanted to double-check my data plan was $15 for 150mb.  I call *611, talk to a woman who was very friendly, but she informed me both CSR's I spoke with on Sunday, Jan. 30 were wrong.  They gave me wrong information about the $15 plan and adding a blackberry.  I would have to upgrade from a $15 to a $30 data plan.  Well that's a bit of a deceptive sale, I told her.  She apologized, and put me on hold to check on other promotions.  Came back and offered a "smartphones talk free" promotion, and I would be able to upgrade to unlimited data for $30 a month and would recieve a 9.99 credit for the line for the next two years.  I tell her I don't need unlimited data.  She appologizes again and offers me bonus minutes along with "smartphones talk free", and I agree and tell her to make the changes.  At this point my brain felt like chewed gum.  She suggests I monitor my account on My Verizon in the future to keep track of everything, so I set that up later that night.

When I get into My Verizon, my data plan was still listed as $15/150mb.  I call *611 again, and they tell me the $30 promotion the woman earlier today was an expired promotion, and my data plan never changed.  I'm told she did not note anything about this in her call log.  I ask them why I was given bonus minutes, and why did she pretend to sell me an expired promotion!  I was transferred to a supervisor, who gave me a schpeal about how with the iPhone everything is changing day to day, and things are changing so rapidly that CSR's easily lose track of promotions.  He did try to help by offering me various discounts on new phones, but needing my phone isn't the issue.  Offered me more bonus minutes, and (what am I going to do with 400 bonus minutes that expire in 60 days, call my friends and talk about the circus that is Verizon Wireless?) told me there isn't anything that can be done until I activate the blackberry (comes in the mail tomorrow, 2/4)

What are Verizon's policies on grandfathering phones based on the $15 data plan? The two CSR's I spoke with on Jan. 30 both told me activating my Blackberry wouldn't be a problem with the $15 data plan, and suggested I act quickly on the data plan because it was a short promotion.  I feel like I was decieved into a sale, purchased a phone based on that agreement, and was later told "oh, sorry, they were wrong." Real helpful.

• 1. Re: $15 data plan and customer service problems
          budone

When did you activate the BB???

The $15 plan was history for placing on all Smartphones and BB's as of the early AM of the 31st.

As for grandfathering data, it is not part of your plan, it is an addon so VZW can, if they wish say the data addons are changing on your next upgrade and you would have to choose.

• 2. Re: $15 data plan and customer service problems
            sudznbubblez

It hasn't been activated yet.  I ordered it online, and recieve it in the mail on Friday.  As of right now, my phone is a Nokia Twist.  The $15 data plan was added for when I activate the Blackberry.  I upgraded before it expired because the CSR's I spoke with on Jan. 30 told me that is a way to get the $15 data plan for the Blackberry.

• 3. Re: $15 data plan and customer service problems
              You're trying to hit a moving target. As someone told you, this stuff is changing quickly. You can not be guaranteed anything in advance. You should have simply bought your phone from Verizon and locked in your plan, as it existed at the time.
              • 4. Re: $15 data plan and customer service problems
                sudznbubblez

When I'm spending money on a service, and I'm told I would be all set to go with the arrangement I made, I expect them to follow through.  If they had told me anything else, I wouldn't be pursuing this.  I think it's deceptive to sell me a data plan and tell me it will work with what I need it to, and then switch things up after the fact.  And the fact a CSR lied to me on the phone about upgrading my plan to an unlimited "smartphones talk free" promotion is not OK either.  The promotion had expired!

• 5. Re: $15 data plan and customer service problems
                  You don't "make arrangements" with a company that has 95,000,000 customers. You go on-line or call and sign up for the best plan available at the time.
                  • 6. Re: $15 data plan and customer service problems
                    MKF

sudznbubblez wrote:

I'm looking for information on Verizon's cababilities to follow through on the promises their CSR/sales people make? I currently have a $15 data plan, and within the next day or two, I want to activate a smartphone I just purchased.

My current phone is a Nokia Twist (multimedia phone), and last week, the mirror on the back of the phone cracked.  The screen is fine, the phone works fine, I was going to just deal with the mirror until I sliced my finger on the broken glass.  I decided it was time to search for a new phone.  I wanted to replace my broken phone with a Blackberry Curve because I use my phone primarily for email and texting.  I also want the calendar and to-do list features.

I wanted to upgrade data plans (was at 9.99/25mb) and info on Blackberry pricing.  CSR was very friendly, gave me prices on several CPO blackberries, but I end the conversation bc I wanted to check phones out myself online.  He told me the $15 data was a promotion and ending soon, and he recommended upgrading as soon as possible.

Looked at phones online, and found a blackberry on Overstock.com which was about 75% cheaper than Verizon phones, and Overstock offers a replacement warranty which includes damage.  I called Verizon to discuss data plan options before I made any purchases to make all my ducks were in a row.  CSR explicitly assures me the Blackberry I'm purchasing on Overstock will be fine with a $15 data plan. I upgrade my data plan, and go order my blackberry.

Checking online yesterday (Feb. 2), I see the $15 data plan is gone.  It disappeared rather quickly so I wanted to double-check my data plan was $15 for 150mb.  I call *611, talk to a woman who was very friendly, but she informed me both CSR's I spoke with on Sunday, Jan. 30 were wrong.  They gave me wrong information about the $15 plan and adding a blackberry.  I would have to upgrade from a $15 to a $30 data plan.  Well that's a bit of a deceptive sale, I told her.  She apologized, and put me on hold to check on other promotions.  Came back and offered a "smartphones talk free" promotion, and I would be able to upgrade to unlimited data for $30 a month and would recieve a 9.99 credit for the line for the next two years.  I tell her I don't need unlimited data.  She appologizes again and offers me bonus minutes along with "smartphones talk free", and I agree and tell her to make the changes.  At this point my brain felt like chewed gum.  She suggests I monitor my account on My Verizon in the future to keep track of everything, so I set that up later that night.

When I get into My Verizon, my data plan was still listed as $15/150mb.  I call *611 again, and they tell me the $30 promotion the woman earlier today was an expired promotion, and my data plan never changed.  I'm told she did not note anything about this in her call log.  I ask them why I was given bonus minutes, and why did she pretend to sell me an expired promotion!  I was transferred to a supervisor, who gave me a schpeal about how with the iPhone everything is changing day to day, and things are changing so rapidly that CSR's easily lose track of promotions.  He did try to help by offering me various discounts on new phones, but needing my phone isn't the issue.  Offered me more bonus minutes, and (what am I going to do with 400 bonus minutes that expire in 60 days, call my friends and talk about the circus that is Verizon Wireless?) told me there isn't anything that can be done until I activate the blackberry (comes in the mail tomorrow, 2/4)

What are Verizon's policies on grandfathering phones based on the $15 data plan? The two CSR's I spoke with on Jan. 30 both told me activating my Blackberry wouldn't be a problem with the $15 data plan, and suggested I act quickly on the data plan because it was a short promotion.  I feel like I was decieved into a sale, purchased a phone based on that agreement, and was later told "oh, sorry, they were wrong." Real helpful.

For the record no one sales or CS rep can just give you anything as part of your contract unless its an actual contractual deal  (Ne2 and etc.). The $15 was apart of line up. It got retired. It happens who missed out. You should have bought it when you had the chance but you wanted to wait. And fussing about the reps will not get you anywhere in fact that will make probably less likely to try and resolve you issue.  If you just want a phone for call and text and a small amount of web get a feature phone. If you want a smart phone then get the $30 data package. Unlimited is good even if you do not use so much since it will always keep you from going over. And I know I'm going to hear I can't afford it and " Blah Blah Blah", but if you can then get a feature phone with no data if you can't afford what is currently offered. 

• 7. Re: $15 data plan and customer service problems
                      budone

Sorry to say, if you did not activate before the 31st you are out of luck with getting a $15 data plan on your BB.

I would just ship the phone back to Overstock..... what did you pay for it there, if I may ask???

• 8. Re: $15 data plan and customer service problems
                        sudznbubblez

To be clear, I upgraded to the $15 plan.  Right now I have 150mb of data per month.

I was not expecting special arrangements, I was never under the impression it was a special arrangement.  All of Verizon's ad copy read "$15 minimum required for 3G smartphones" at the time, and now their ad copy all reads "data pak required for 3G smartphones."  Unfortunately, I was provided with no fine print and feel I made a lot of decisions without being fully explained specifics on the $15 data plan.  Customer service led me to believe I would be able to upgrade to a smartphone as long as I had at least a $15 data plan.

The phone I bought from Overstock was a refurbished Blackberry Curve 2 for about $54, and I paid an additional $13 for a 2-year replacement warranty (Verizon quoted me at $149 for a CPO curve, and Verizon's warranty doesn't cover damage).  I purchase refurbished electronics from Overstock.com and they are always fantastic.  Unfortunately, the downside of their flat $2.95 shipping policy is you get gouged on return shipping. I wish it was as easy as just shipping the phone back to Overstock, but the return shipping will probably cost me half of what I paid for the phone.

I was interested in upgrading to a Blackberry for the organization features programmed into the phone, and the improvement it offers over the "mobile email" found in feature phones.  I'm very familiar with Blackberry data usage, and the 150mb would have been more than enough.  I've read through a lot of posts on these boards and there seem to be several pretentious posters who are quick to jump at anyone who exceeds their data tier or complains about the cost of required data plans.  Get over yourself!  Don't accuse me of bitching and whining about not being able to afford $30 of data per month. 

That is not what I'm upset about, I am upset that I was never informed the $15 would only be good for my current phone now.  Had I been told I needed to purchase a smartphone from Verizon to keep that data plan, I would have.  However, I was told having the $15 added on Jan. 30th would be fine when I activated a smartphone approximately one week later. I double-checked this prior to purchasing the phone on Overstock.

I use about 7mb per month of data now, upgrading from a 25 plan to a 150mb plan while keeping the same phone makes no sense.  The CSR's I spoke with on Feb. 2 looked at my account and seemed to undertstand this, but told me there was nothing they could do until I received my BB in the mail and was ready to activate it.  I am left waiting for my phone in the mail while feeling completely deceived into purchasing an upgraded data plan I have no need for.  And, I'm still stuck using my Nokia Twist which is covered in shattered glass. dfhjlfsjkfsdfjdk

• 9. Re: $15 data plan and customer service problems
                          budone

I understand you have the plan. However the BB HAD to be ACTIVATED on that plan PRIOR to Jan 31st. All Smartphones AND BB's activated on Jan 31st or later now require the $29,99 data plan. No exceptions. Those who activated their BB's on the $15 plan prior to Jan 31st are grandfathered.

Having the plan does not allow you to place the BB on the plan after the new requirements occurred.

As for the Device now, try selling on Ebay or Craigslist. Overstock is a great option for someone who is not eligible for an upgrade and maybe bricks their phone!  Thanks for the info!

1 2 3 Previous Next