1 2 Previous Next 10 Replies Latest reply: Feb 1, 2011 3:48 PM by PJNC284 RSS

MEID and MDN?

Ringfinger1999

Saw this posted by a Verizon rep:

At launch, however, customers will have to process the upgrade on the eligible line on the account and manually change the MEID (Mobile Equipment Identifier) over to the MDN (Mobile Directory Number) on which they want

Hunh?

• 1. Re: MEID and MDN?
          21stNow

Ringfinger1999 wrote:

Saw this posted by a Verizon rep:

At launch, however, customers will have to process the upgrade on the eligible line on the account and manually change the MEID (Mobile Equipment Identifier) over to the MDN (Mobile Directory Number) on which they want

Hunh?

The phone comes "tied" to the phone number (MDN) for the line that it was upgraded on.  The phone has a unique number, the MEID.  Your line has a telephone number, the MDN. 

So your telephone number is 111-111-1111.  Your family member's telephone number is 222-222-2222.  You order the iPhone on your family member's line because she is eligible for upgrade and you are not.  Once you receive the iPhone, which has an MEID of X, it is also ready to be activated on the line with the telephone number of 222-222-2222.  It must be activated on this line first, because that is what the phone is "tied" to.

You call Verizon Wireless and tell them that you want phone X to be active on the line with the phone number 111-111-1111.  They do all of the transferring stuff on their end.  Now your iPhone still has an MEID of X, but it is now active on a line with phone number 111-111-1111.

An easier way to think of this is if you have and your family member each have a car, and you want to transfer the license plates from one car to another.  HTH.

• 2. Re: MEID and MDN?
            Ringfinger1999

So, buy on the eligible line, activatye on the eligible line, then call and have the phone switched to my line that I want to use it on and then the other line goes back to the phone that was on it originally?

• 3. Re: MEID and MDN?
              AZSALUKI

exactly. it's no big deal. what you want to accomplish can and will be done. it just takes verizon to do it. 

i've done this, but since i was unfamiliar, i just took the 2 phones into a store. they did everything for me in about 10 minutes.

• 4. Re: MEID and MDN?
                king_cayman

Do I have to activate on the eligible line first?  Or could I just call Verizon and have them activate right away?

Reason I ask, my sister who has the eligible line, lives out of state... I think it's gonna be a pain in the **bleep** to have to activate on her line... deactivate her old phone... deactivate the iphone... reactivate her old phone... call verizon to get it activated on my line.

There has to be an easier way.

• 5. Re: MEID and MDN?
                  test_one_two

AZSALUKI wrote:

exactly. it's no big deal. what you want to accomplish can and will be done. it just takes verizon to do it.

Hmm I've activated online myself in the past... maybe it'll be different with the almighty iphone though. who knows. if not:

On the right side go to "I want to +"

2nd option down is "Activate a Device"

Follow steps.

Done.

One interesting note i just thought of is that this will be the first verizon phone that doesn't have a removal battery meaning if it ever dies to the point that it won't boot, there won't be a way to retrieve the MEID (not that that should matter). Might want to keep paperwork and such if you think that matters.

• 6. Re: MEID and MDN?
                    test_one_two

Something I just thought of... You think their customer service lines will be flooded once people start getting their phones which will be right around the official launch of the phone? I do. That's why the web activation might be wise.

• 7. Re: MEID and MDN?
                      john5481

iPhones are activated and deactivated through iTunes not the Verizon Website... You must upgrade on the original line and THEN switch it to the line you want it on

• 8. Re: MEID and MDN?
                        AZSALUKI

test_one_two wrote:

AZSALUKI wrote:

Hmm I've activated online myself in the past... maybe it'll be different with the almighty iphone though. who knows. if not:

Follow steps.

Done.

One interesting note i just thought of is that this will be the first verizon phone that doesn't have a removal battery meaning if it ever dies to the point that it won't boot, there won't be a way to retrieve the MEID (not that that should matter). Might want to keep paperwork and such if you think that matters.

you can activate a new phone that was ordered on THAT specific line yourself. i just don't know that you can activate one that was ordered on a different line, on your line, without help.

• 9. Re: MEID and MDN?
                          test_one_two

AZSALUKI wrote:

test_one_two wrote:

AZSALUKI wrote:

Follow steps.

Done.

you can activate a new phone that was ordered on THAT specific line yourself. i just don't know that you can activate one that was ordered on a different line, on your line, without help.

Certainly not positive, but I've done a lot of brand new phone's from vzw, refurbed from vzw, and used phones from craigslist... I've activated all of em on verizonwireless.com. In this case I'll just try to activate on my gf's line first (as is apparently necessary) then activate on my line... then put the appropriate phone back on her line... obviously would be a million times easier for a vzw rep to do it (in theory) but if the phone lines are flooded i'll just diy.

1 2 Previous Next