3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 1, 2011 8:49 AM by reallyniceguy RSS

Too many pattern attempts - Droid Eris

nakedngrinning

Question- I bought this phone used off Craigslist a few months ago so I'm not sure the original owner was. My son was playing w/it and trying to *guess* the pattern to unlock the phone. He guessed to many times and now it says Too many pattern attempts and is asking for username (google email) and password. My email and password does not work. Is there anyway around this?

• 1. Re: Too many pattern attempts - Droid Eris
          Ann154

nakedngrinning wrote:

Question- I bought this phone used off Craigslist a few months ago so I'm not sure the original owner was. My son was playing w/it and trying to *guess* the pattern to unlock the phone. He guessed to many times and now it says Too many pattern attempts and is asking for username (google email) and password. My email and password does not work. Is there anyway around this?

Hi.

You can try to leave the phone alone for a while and see if you can try the pattern again.

If that doesn't work, I am pretty sure you are going to have to do a hard reset on the phone.  You will lose everything personal on the phone so hopefully some of the information is backed up somewhere.  As a safety precaution I would get the SD card out and do the hard reset without the card in the phone.  Since you are stuck at the lock screen, I would pull the battery out to power off the phone and then take out the SD card.  Reinsert the battery and cover and then follow the steps listed as the "alternate method for 2.1" started at the point where the phone is powered off.

http://support.vzw.com/clc/devices/knowledge_base.html?id=27431

Hopefully that works for you.  I have managed to avoid completing a reset through this method so please let us if that works.

P.S.. To the MODS or Admins, there were some missing pictures images within this link.  Can that be fixed please?

• 2. Re: Too many pattern attempts - Droid Eris
            Wildman

I would just hard reset it because if the password you tried doesnt work then that would mean that the email account that is being used on the device isnt attached to your personal account and most likely be still the previous persons account because the device uses the email account information thte device is configured as the primary gMail account on unit.  Did ypu hard rest before using the device when you bought it?

• 3. Re: Too many pattern attempts - Droid Eris
              reallyniceguy
              RESET IT. Never ever use a used phone without resetting it, specially a smart phone. There may be applications that have the ability to get your personal information like phone number and contacts. http://www.technipages.com/hard-reset-htc-droid-eris.html after you reset all you have to do is activate. IMPORTANT! If the 3G does not come on DO NOT FREAK OUT lol call verizon and they will show you how to fix it by putting in the MIP settings in the phone. The android forums sate that some droid eris will lose data connection after reset and you need to manually enter the MIP settings which verizon can walk you trough.