3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 25, 2011 2:28 PM by SuzyQ RSS

assumption of liability

ldccpa

I have an individual account that is eligible for upgrade. I am interest in a Droid X which I can get through Amazon wireless for far less than what Verizon wants.  My employer is no longer paying my individual account.  My question is if I renew my individual plan through Amazon and then have my husband's Verizon business plan assume the liability can Amazon fine me (if done with the 181 days they mention in the fine print)?  By moving my individual plan to the business plan I will be eligible for the business discounts he gets.  The line won't be terminated but the technical term is "Assumption of Liability". I have asked Amazon and Verizon but no one can answer.  One just says to ask the other.

• 1. Re: assumption of liability
          SuzyQ
          I would first talk to the Verizon Business account reps, and find out what types of accounts are able to be incorporated with an "assumption of liability" - or if this is even doable on a business account. If you can do an assumption of liability, THEN read the fine print on your Amazon wireless contract. It may constitute a plan change and trigger an ETF or other fee; it may not do anything past the 181 days....
          • 2. Re: assumption of liability
            ldccpa

Bus rep not much help.  All he could tell me is that an "assumption of liabilty"  is not a termination so at least from Verizon's end there would not be early temination fees.  Amazon had no clue what could happen at their end.

• 3. Re: assumption of liability
              SuzyQ

ldccpa wrote:

Bus rep not much help.  All he could tell me is that an "assumption of liabilty"  is not a termination so at least from Verizon's end there would not be early temination fees. OK - and that sounds as if you CAN do an AOL on a business account. 

Amazon had no clue what could happen at their end.  Look at the contract then - see if there is a clause anywhere in there about changing plans or changing service options within the first 6 months, or 3 months, or whatever time frame.  And it sounds like you are already beyond that time frame anyway, so it may be irrelevant.

Then go to Verizon, and proceed with AOL to add the line to your business account, if there doesn't seem to be any language in the Amazon contract to discourage you from doing so...