1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply: Jul 30, 2012 10:09 AM by vippools RSS

Wi Fi vs. 3G data usage

Family_Jackson

Is using WiFi from your home charged against your data usage, the same as 3G.  When looking through MyVerizon, the only reference I can find to Wi Fi is Verizon Wi Fi.  Nothng about using your own ISP.

• 1. Re: Wi Fi vs. 3G data usage
          budone

Family_Jackson wrote:

Is using WiFi from your home charged against your data usage, the same as 3G.  When looking through MyVerizon, the only reference I can find to Wi Fi is Verizon Wi Fi.  Nothng about using your own ISP.

You can use your home WiFi without the worry of incurring data charges.

• 2. Re: Wi Fi vs. 3G data usage
            Family_Jackson

That's funny.  When I called customer service they said I would need to purchase the $20 Broadband service in order to use the Wi Fi from my PC at home. 

• 3. Re: Wi Fi vs. 3G data usage
              SydneyK
              Absolutely incorrect. Using Wi-Fi at home has nothing to do with cellular data and is free. I'm sorry you talked to such an uninformed rep.
              • 4. Re: Wi Fi vs. 3G data usage
                Family_Jackson

Thanks to both of your for your information :smileyhappy:

• 5. Re: Wi Fi vs. 3G data usage
                  ConfusedCS

How do you know that no data charges are being incurred on 3G when you are connected via WIFI... You have to trust Verizon?

• 6. Re: Wi Fi vs. 3G data usage
                    GTIMKV

ConfusedCS wrote:

How do you know that no data charges are being incurred on 3G when you are connected via WIFI... You have to trust Verizon?

If you are connected to WiFi, it will have higher priority than 3G, so you will have no 3G connection at all. There's no way for Verizon to charge you when you are not connected to 3G.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the only way to force 3G connection when you are connected via WiFi is to turn the WiFi off on your phone.

• 7. Re: Wi Fi vs. 3G data usage
                      SuzyQ

Perhaps the question was misunderstood.  Are you asking to use your phone as a wifi hotspot to connect your home computer to the internet?  There IS a charge for that.

If you want to use an EXISTING internet connection and wifi (such as your home ISP with a wireless router connection) on your phone to connect your phone to the internet, then that will not use your phone's data plan or allowance.

• 8. Re: Wi Fi vs. 3G data usage
                        seajay

How much is the charge for that?  if a person only has 2GB, isnt that gonna be ate up really fast?

• 9. Re: Wi Fi vs. 3G data usage

Seajay, thanks for your inquiry. The 2GB mobile hotspot is $20/month. Many users can use 2GB of data comfortably, but it depends on what you plan to use the connection for. If you plan on streaming music, videos, movies often, then I would suggest going to a higher plan. If you are on one of our new data plans, you have the option of choosing between 4, 7, and 12GB data plans. This would be shared between your device and the mobile hotspot. For instance, if you have the 4GB plan and only used 1GB of data on your smartphone, you have 3GB to tether. 

1 2 Previous Next