1 2 3 Previous Next 24 Replies Latest reply: Jan 7, 2012 2:18 PM by jacobew RSS

Discontinuing Upgrade Discounts and early renewal.

bwmeyer400

Is any one else outraged at Verizon discontuning this plan?   I am less then 30 days before I can upgrade my phone and now they are going to remove a service that I signed up for several years ago.  I have been a Verizon customer for several years. You would think they would honor the contact that we signed.  Does anyone know where we can write to complain about this?

• 1. Re: Discontinuing Upgrade Discounts and early renewal.
          black743

bwmeyer400 wrote:

Is any one else outraged at Verizon discontuning this plan?   I am less then 30 days before I can upgrade my phone and now they are going to remove a service that I signed up for several years ago.  I have been a Verizon customer for several years. You would think they would honor the contact that we signed.  Does anyone know where we can write to complain about this?

They are honoring your contract.  The new rules are for those signing contracts from today forward, all others are grandfathered into their contracts.  Once you use either your annual or NE2 however, you will THEN sign a new contract and fall under the new rules.

• 2. Re: Discontinuing Upgrade Discounts and early renewal.
            tcook

Joe, Where did you get your information? Just curious.

• 3. Re: Discontinuing Upgrade Discounts and early renewal.
              black743

tcook wrote:

Joe, Where did you get your information? Just curious.

In several emails and phone calls with customer service, as well as a few posts on here.

• 4. Re: Discontinuing Upgrade Discounts and early renewal.
                whisper76

This seems to be a very foolish policy change and yet another example of a huge company trying to pinch every last penny out of its loyal customers.  The price VZW pays to phone manufacturers to support the NE2 plan is low compared to the price of losing a 2-year contract, but somehow it makes sense in the corperate offices to suck subscribers dry by making them pay full price to upgrade their phone.  This is, of course, in addition to already pricey monthly charges for voice and data plans (though VZW is certainly not alone here - all of the providers are outrageus).

I appreciate that my NE2 option will be honored one more time, when my existing contract is nearing its end, but I would have to be an idiot to sign a new contract in which this is not an option.  What incentive would I have whatsoever, when I can go to another carrier who will give me a good deal for switching and also an option to upgrade my device later on?  All the others are still doing this.

Sorry, but VZW service just isn't THAT much better than the competitors (if at all).  The only reason I'm here is because I get a modest disconunt on my monthly plan through my employer.  However, that modest discount won't cut it if I have to start paying full price for handsets down the line.  It's a bad move and I hope many, many of us will defect elsewhere to prove the point.

• 5. Re: Discontinuing Upgrade Discounts and early renewal.
                  meisstupid

I don't think that's true. I went into Verizon last week asking them and they told me I had until January 16, 2011 to use my annual upgrade (between the 13th and 20th month of my contract). After that, I would have to wait until July (20th month of my contract) before I would be eligible for the upgrade.

This means that I would not be able to get an iPhone, HTC Thunderbolt, Droid Bionic, etc. until July.

• 6. Re: Discontinuing Upgrade Discounts and early renewal.
                    black743

I have three emails that are quite detailed from customer service, as well as 4 phone calls....plus if you read the iPhone faq sheet it even talks about annual upgrades may be used for the iPhone.

So tell me, if NOBODY has an annual upgrade, how could anyone use an annual upgrade for the iPhone?

The link:

http://support.vzw.com/faqs/iphone/iphone_faq.html

The quote:

8.  If I’m an existing Verizon Wireless customer and I’m eligible for an annual upgrade, will I have to pay the standard $20 early upgrade fee to purchase iPhone 4?

No, if you are currently eligible for an annual upgrade, the standard $20 early upgrade fee will be waived for customers purchasing iPhone 4 until the end of March.

• 7. Re: Discontinuing Upgrade Discounts and early renewal.
                      Grothka
                      Also, I have been told by reps that they were advised VZW is trying to get all upgrades on the same levels and make up for it by providing more promotional upgrade offers. I'm also curious... do any of the other major carriers have the additional discount like the NE2 credit? Or do they just do the standard 1-2 year contract discounts?
                      • 8. Re: Discontinuing Upgrade Discounts and early renewal.
                        SuzyQ

whisper76 wrote:
                        ... What incentive would I have whatsoever, when I can go to another carrier who will give me a good deal for switching and also an option to upgrade my device later on?  All the others are still doing this....
                        ...  The only reason I'm here is because I get a modest disconunt on my monthly plan through my employer.  However, that modest discount won't cut it if I have to start paying full price for handsets down the line. You won't!!!

I think you misunderstand the policy change - they are NOT eliminating the upgrade DISCOUNTS for one and two year contracts ... you will still get a substantial discount to sign a two year contract, and you will still be able to get another discounted device 20 months into that 2 year contract.  That is NOT CHANGING!!!!

The only thing being eliminated is a $30 0r $50 NE2 credit available to SOME account holders, and the annual discount available to SOME account holders.  The upgrade discounts for one and two year contracts are STILL THERE.

• 9. Re: Discontinuing Upgrade Discounts and early renewal.
                          demiann

If you are that worried about it, just keep the current plan that has the NE2 intergrated into it! My contract is up for renewal right now, and I'm not switching to one of these new Talk & Text plans that are out now and paying $30 for a data plan for unlimited date useage. The plan I have currently already includes unlimited data, and is cheaper than it would be to switch!

So, when I resign, all my contract details will stay the same. And if I'm correct, I think the NE2 is listed on mine.

1 2 3 Previous Next