1 2 Previous Next 11 Replies Latest reply: Jan 24, 2011 4:23 PM by overseas RSS

Verizon Iphone 4 - can it travel to London, UK?

earthxdog

I am looking for someone who may be able to help with the following questions:

I currently have a Storm 2 with Verizon.  I travel to London often and I am able to take the phone and use email, texts and voice.

I am reading conflicting reports about what I would be able to do with the Iphone 4. 

Would I be able to text in London?  Would I get my email?  Make or receive calls on my regular number?

What is the side by side comparison between how the Blackberry 2 and Iphone 4 would work for me in London?

ANY help would be appreciated.... not speculation.  Looking for someone who knows.  I have called Verizon a couple of times and they don't seem to have the answer yet.

Thanks

Regards,

Mark

• 1. Re: Verizon Iphone 4 - can it travel to London, UK?
          rcschnoor

No, the Verizon iPhone 4 is not a global phone and will not have service in UK.

• 2. Re: Verizon Iphone 4 - can it travel to London, UK?
            overseas

It is amazing that Verizon will not offer an iphone with GSM quad band capability for use in Europe.  I have had a Verzon "global" phone (Samsung Renown) that is like a Fisher-Price version of a reliable International phone.  I regret ever giving up the nice basic ATT flip phone i used to have that would work just about anywhere in the world which i could also use to send pictures and emails through the Edge network.  I waited for the better Verizon US coverage and a good international data package but Verizon has come up short again.  Bad show! 

• 3. Re: Verizon Iphone 4 - can it travel to London, UK?
              steveanderson13

overseas wrote:

It is amazing that Verizon will not offer an iphone with GSM quad band capability for use in Europe.  I have had a Verzon "global" phone (Samsung Renown) that is like a Fisher-Price version of a reliable International phone. 

Verizon has always offered several global phones.  The Renown did not get good reviews, I know that.  Others were better--Blackberry.  The choice today is bigger and they are getting excellent user reviews (except for the Escapade).  

I regret ever giving up the nice basic ATT flip phone i used to have that would work just about anywhere in the world which i could also use to send pictures and emails through the Edge network.  I waited for the better Verizon US coverage and a good international data package but Verizon has come up short again.  Bad show! 

It would be atypical for a phone to be global out of the gate.  There is a good choice now--but don't shop from the botttom. Things will change in the future so depending on the immediacy of your needs and your time frame, a global phone will  be moot, Apple or otherwise.  

• 4. Re: Verizon Iphone 4 - can it travel to London, UK?
                rcschnoor

overseas wrote:

It is amazing that Verizon will not offer an iphone with GSM quad band capability for use in Europe.  I have had a Verzon "global" phone (Samsung Renown) that is like a Fisher-Price version of a reliable International phone.  I regret ever giving up the nice basic ATT flip phone i used to have that would work just about anywhere in the world which i could also use to send pictures and emails through the Edge network.  I waited for the better Verizon US coverage and a good international data package but Verizon has come up short again.  Bad show! 

Verizon WILL offer a global version of the iPhone. It just so happens that to get this version, you will have to wait until the 4G LTE version becomes available. Possibly later this year, but more likely next year it seems.

• 5. Re: Verizon Iphone 4 - can it travel to London, UK?
                  bladel

After waiting so many years, I am very disappointed that there is not an International option for the iPhone.

A future LTE-capable model will be fantastic on VZW's US Network, but Europe and Asia are really lagging in rolling out LTE, so this is not a viable option for at least 2-4 years.

• 6. Re: Verizon Iphone 4 - can it travel to London, UK?
                    rcschnoor

bladel wrote:

After waiting so many years, I am very disappointed that there is not an International option for the iPhone.

A future LTE-capable model will be fantastic on VZW's US Network, but Europe and Asia are really lagging in rolling out LTE, so this is not a viable option for at least 2-4 years.

Or for a good portion of the the US, either.

• 7. Re: Verizon Iphone 4 - can it travel to London, UK?
                      cal56

Yes, according to the Q & A on a Verison website>

http://support.vzw.com/faqs/iphone/iphone_faq.html

"

Can I use my iPhone 4 while traveling abroad?

Yes, customers can use iPhone for voice and text in over 40 countries with data service in over 20 countries.For service availability and rate information, visit International Roaming Rates and Coverage. When travelling outside of these 40 destinations, the Global Travel program is the perfect short-term solution for the occasional or infrequent global traveler who needs to stay in touch when travelling internationally."

• 8. Re: Verizon Iphone 4 - can it travel to London, UK?
                        budone

cal56 wrote:

Yes, according to the Q & A on a Verison website>

http://support.vzw.com/faqs/iphone/iphone_faq.html

"

Can I use my iPhone 4 while traveling abroad?

Yes, customers can use iPhone for voice and text in over 40 countries with data service in over 20 countries.For service availability and rate information, visit International Roaming Rates and Coverage. When travelling outside of these 40 destinations, the Global Travel program is the perfect short-term solution for the occasional or infrequent global traveler who needs to stay in touch when travelling internationally."

United Kingdon is not one of the 40 countries.

• 9. Re: Verizon Iphone 4 - can it travel to London, UK?
                          lovebrasil2014

NEVER.

haha no im just kidding.

apparently not according to the guy above me.

the iPhone 5 is the 4G phone that you WILL want for your business trips.

then everything will work spectacularly.

1 2 Previous Next