4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 8, 2011 1:48 AM by SuzyQ RSS

Certified Pre-Owned

BW1175

I talked to a customer service rep a while back about my options for upgrading my phone, even though I'm not eligible for an upgrade... she told me about the certified pre-owned replacement program, but said that it had to be done over the phone or to visit a store.

So my wife and I just went to a local store earlier this evening and asked one of the reps about it.  He said (and verified with the manager there) that we can order them online from home.  That we just order the certified pre-owned phones, which would essentially begin a new 2-year contract from that date, but that it doesn't use your upgrade.

So I asked, for example... my wife is due for an upgrade in July.  If we ordered a certified pre-owned phone for her, she would begin a new 2-year contract, but would still be eligible for a NEW upgrade in July.  He said yes.

Now, I cannot figure out how to actually order these phones.  If I'm signed into my account, the only option is to pay full retail price to upgrade the line... or to add a new line, in which case you can get the discounted pricing.  However, I'm not seeing how we can get certified pre-owned phones at the discounted price without adding new lines.

Again, the service rep I spoke to on the phone before said it cannot be done online... the guy I talked to today said it can.

Help?

• 1. Re: Certified Pre-Owned
          budone

BW1175 wrote:

I talked to a customer service rep a while back about my options for upgrading my phone, even though I'm not eligible for an upgrade... she told me about the certified pre-owned replacement program, but said that it had to be done over the phone or to visit a store.

So my wife and I just went to a local store earlier this evening and asked one of the reps about it.  He said (and verified with the manager there) that we can order them online from home.  That we just order the certified pre-owned phones, which would essentially begin a new 2-year contract from that date, but that it doesn't use your upgrade.

So I asked, for example... my wife is due for an upgrade in July.  If we ordered a certified pre-owned phone for her, she would begin a new 2-year contract, but would still be eligible for a NEW upgrade in July.  He said yes.

Now, I cannot figure out how to actually order these phones.  If I'm signed into my account, the only option is to pay full retail price to upgrade the line... or to add a new line, in which case you can get the discounted pricing.  However, I'm not seeing how we can get certified pre-owned phones at the discounted price without adding new lines.

Again, the service rep I spoke to on the phone before said it cannot be done online... the guy I talked to today said it can.

Help?

Certified Pre-Owned Replacement devices are available to existing Verizon Wireless customers who meet eligibility requirements, and can be ordered through Verizon Wireless retail stores or through Customer Service at (800) 922-0204. Certified Pre-Owned Replacement devices available through this program are not sold online.

• 2. Re: Certified Pre-Owned
            BW1175

Thanks for the quick response, but I saw that too... was just wondering who was wrong and who was right.

Anyway... was the guy at the store at least right about it not counting for an upgrade?  According to him, getting the certified pre-owned phone began a new 2-year contract, though your previous upgrade status/date remained the same... and that we could get them at the 2-year contract price.

Is anything he told me correct? lol

• 3. Re: Certified Pre-Owned
              budone

Well it is according to what you read on the CPO site. It used to be it did not extend your contract, but if you read all the CPO pages, there IS mention of an extension.

• 4. Re: Certified Pre-Owned
                SuzyQ

I can understand your confusion . . . I'M confused too!  The way I'm reading things is this:

CPO devices are available, and do not extend your contract, if you meet the following criteria:

• If your device is lost, stolen or damaged and you are not enrolled in Total Equipment Coverage or Wireless Phone Protection, you can purchase a Certified Pre-Owned Replacement device to replace your original device. 
                • If your device experiences a defect after the manufacturer’s warranty has expired and you are not enrolled in Total Equipment Coverage or Extended Warranty, you can purchase a Certified Pre-Owned Replacement device to replace your original device. 
                • There is a limit of one Certified Pre-Owned Replacement device per mobile number every 12 months.

These cannot be purchased online - you have to deal with Customer service on the phone or in a store to get a CPO device under these circumstances, at a discount, and NOT extend your contract.

Further on, it mentions "Certified Pre-Owned devices are now available with new two-year or one-year agreements for eligible customers."  These, I believe, are the phones you see online, labeled CPO, and the eligibility refers to your upgrade eligibility.  If you are eligible for an upgrade, you can purchase a brand new device at discounted pricing, or choose a CPO at an even greater savings.  This WILL result in a one or two year contract extension.  If you are NOT eligible for an upgrade, you cannot purchase these online.

To summarize, if you are purchasing a CPO device due to the circumstances listed first (no insurance, no warranty, defective, lost, stolen device) and you go through customer service, there is no contract extension.  If you purchase a CPO device online, you have to be eligible for an upgrade and it WILL renew your contract (that's what's meant by a NEW one or two year contract).

If I have this wrong (or right, either way) - can a Verizon employee or "official" rep please let us know?  It makes sense to me this way....but that doesn't necessarily mean that's how Verizon will deal with it.