1 2 Previous Next 11 Replies Latest reply: Apr 6, 2011 12:23 PM by SydneyK RSS

Rebate card -Citibank

AngelaDawn

I just received my $100 rebate debit card in the mail for a phone upgrade.  When I went online to the rebate center to transfer the money from the rebate card to my bank account, the rebate card showed no balance.   It showed that the rebate debit card was depleted of the $100 in Las Vegas at a cafe before I even received the card in the mail.   As a side note I have never been to Los Vegas.  It also showed online that Verizon rebate center received the appropriate items for the rebate on 12/22 and processed on 12/29 and then the next day, the card number was used in Las Vegas on 12/30.   I did not even get the card in the mail till 1/3/11.  I called the number on the back of the rebate debit card and talked with someone from Citibank who handles the rebate debit cards.  I was told I had to fill out an Affidavit . Have it notarized and mail to the appropriate address.  The lady went on to tell me that it could take up to 90 days to investigate and get me my rebate money back.   I AM VERY FRUSTRATED!!!  Why do I have to go to all this extra trouble when it appears Citibank or Verizon has allow the number to this rebate debit card to get stolen.   Is there not a easier and faster way for me to get my rebate money.    If this cannot be settled, I will definitely contact Better Business Bureau and change wireless carriers.  I do not feel very secure with Verizon or Citibank.  How could someone have got the number from the Rebate debit card before I had even went online and verified/activate it.

???? PLEASE HELP!!

AngelaDawn

• 1. Re: Rebate card -Citibank
          SuzyQ
          Angela,
          :smileysad: So sorry to hear of this happening to you, but unfortunately, this isn't the first time - there are other threads on this board and others about this very same thing.

I'm not sure where the breakdown is that allows the money on the debit card to be taken before it gets to you. I hope you will follow through with the procedure and perhaps the "leak" will be found and this will stop.

If you purchase online, the rebate is applied to the cost of the phone directly and there is no hassle with rebate cards - I prefer to do it this way. Too late for you on this round, and I hope you get the $$ back, even if it takes a bit of time.
          • 2. Re: Rebate card -Citibank
            budone

This seems to be more and more common. How to fix???? I wish I had a good answer.

• 3. Re: Rebate card -Citibank
              AngelaDawn

If they can apply the rebate online when upgrading phones why not in the stores.  Got figure????    

• 4. Re: Rebate card -Citibank
                rcschnoor

They can, just choose not to.

• 5. Re: Rebate card -Citibank
                  AngelaDawn

Well guess Verizon has  another strike against them.

• 6. Re: Rebate card -Citibank
                    gusy2k

Hi, The exact same thing happened to me. I upgraded late last year to (2) smart phones (samsung consortium and droid x). Both phones came with a $100 (each) mail in rebate. I sent everything out, and received the verizon wireless VISA debit cards in the mail around January 07, 2011 (each card in it's own envelope). The cards came at the perfect time, the refrigerator was down to the crumbs on the shelves. So me and the little woman went to our local Albertsons to get groceries (we were shopping on empty stomachs, so everything was going into the shopping cart). When we got to the register to pay the cashier, one of the cards did not have enough money on it to pay the groceries (the other card went through with no problem). We also called the number on back of the card and was only able to get a recording (no live person). Frustrated, the following day I went to the Verizon store where I bought the phones. The supervisor there immediately went on the defensive (as if I was trying to pull a fast one), I told him the story and he was able to find the phone number for a live person at CITI CARDS on one of the phamplets inside the envelope. He was on the phone with this person from CITI telling his version of the story (so I suggested that I speak to them instead), he took this personal as he was no longer needed by me (he had already confessed to me that Verizon has nothing to do with what goes on between CITI and the rebates). After a loud and lenghty conversation with this person who I could barely understand, she said that my card was used on January 02, 2011 at a place called "THE CAFE AT RJC" in Las Vegas, Nevada. She also sent me the paperwork for the fraud investigation via e-mail. After receiving the paperwork, I noticed that I am supposed to pay to get my signature NOTARIZED at my expense (your talking about $25). I called Verizon to complain, but like before they won't get involved in affairs regarding CITI CARDS and the rebates. At this point, I realized this was gonna be a fight to get my rebate. I decided to look up this restaraunt/cafe in GOOGLE. I typed in "THE CAFE AT RJC" and was very shocked to read an article wriiten by a reporter on January 12, 2011. The news article is from "LAS VEGAS LEGAL NEWS". In a nutshell the cafe was shut down by the federal marshalls one week prior to stealing the money from the rebate card, also the weekend the money was taken, a judge approved the transfer of ownership (I mean ownership of the "CAFE AT RJC") to another group of investors. The cafe is now a sandwich shop called "CAPRIOTTIS". I notified the reporter who wrote the article, and he actually put an update on the news article explaining my story (in a nutshell) to others, who may have been scammed. I honestly think that this is just the tip of the iceberg. If you are able, it will probably be a good idea to contact the reporter of the article (there is two different reporters/phone numbers). I plan to send a copy of that article to CITI when I fill out my rebate fraud paperwork. HOPE THIS HELPS! Gus

• 7. Re: Rebate card -Citibank
                      tavogee
                      I POSTED AN EARLIER REPLY, BUT FORGOT TO ADD SOMETHING. IF YOU READ MY STORY, DURING THE PHONE CONVERSATION WITH CITI I FORGOT TO MENTION THAT I WAS TOLD MY ADDRESS WAS INCORRECT ONTHERE SYSTEM. I THAN SAID, HOW COULD THAT BE, I RECEIVED THE CARD IN THE MAIL JUST FINE. I WAS TOLD THAT THERE COMPUTER SHOWED MY ADDRESS WITH A ZERO (0) AT THE BEGINNING. POSSIBLY, THIS IS SOME KIND OF TIPPOFF (CLUE) FOR THE CITI THEIVES. !ANYONE!
                      • 8. Re: Rebate card -Citibank
                        DahShark

Gee...it's deja vu all over again.  I'm in the midst of exactly what happened to you.  And NOBODY wants to take any responsibility.  I've seen postings from as early as January 2010 on these same issues.  Seems like these security breaches have been commonplace.  Also seems like Verizon Rebate/Citibank should be notifying us and fixing it right away.  Think of all the money Citibank [kickbacks to Verizon?] is making on this from all the lucky cardholders quitting in frustration. 

Kinda makes you want to take a Kosmik puke all over Verizon and Citibank.  No wonder problematic, marginal people get triggered by **bleep** like this!!!

• 9. Re: Rebate card -Citibank
                          Chuchi1111

I HATE THESE CARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Yeah they work in most places, but not online usually!   I tried to buy something on line and the card kept getting declined.  I had more then enough on the card left....apparently the company doesn't accept the "DEBIT" Visa...be careful....make sure where ever you buy on-line....the store takes the "DEBIT" Visa...if not...it will not go through!!  And of course I tried to see if they, CIti, would send me the balance I had in a check....oh no...you have to use it! 

1 2 Previous Next