Does using Wi-Fi count towards my data usage?
jjbmack

If I am at work or at home and can connect to my wireless internet will this count as data usage on my verizon plan.  I only got the 105mb plan because I really only "need" access to email.  It would be nice to access the internet if I can do it without running the chance of incurring overages. 

If so, how do I make sure I am not using the phones data plan? 

Sorry if this is covered elsewhere.  This is my first smartphone and I am not sure what I have gotten myself into.  Thanks.

Jodi

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Does using Wi-Fi count towards my data usage?
bigfrank69
Contributor - Level 1

Well the $15.00 plan is 150 MB not 105 and with that plan you should usse WI-Fi as much as possible thats what I do. I use at home and at a friends house because MB ad up quick with these phones, I had an EnV Touch and would use 25 a month and now with smart phone I used 300 and used WI-FI alot and id just a little more than I normally did on ENV but more to play with on Fascinate. Check data usage on phone (mY Verizon) or text #data or on pc

View solution in original post

0 Likes
bigfrank69
Contributor - Level 1

Well the $15.00 plan is 150 MB not 105 and with that plan you should usse WI-Fi as much as possible thats what I do. I use at home and at a friends house because MB ad up quick with these phones, I had an EnV Touch and would use 25 a month and now with smart phone I used 300 and used WI-FI alot and id just a little more than I normally did on ENV but more to play with on Fascinate. Check data usage on phone (mY Verizon) or text #data or on pc

0 Likes
jjbmack

Sorry, that 105 was a typo...

Do I just need to turn on wi-fi?  Do I have to turn off the phone data?  Sorry, I guess I don't know how to tell if I am using wi-fi or the phone data.

0 Likes
Indianchief
Contributor - Level 1

Wi-Fi does not count as data usage.  Pull down the annotation bar at the top of your screen and you will see the Wi_Fi button.  Just touch to enable it.  You will see your phone is now on Wi-Fi and not on 3G Data.  Hope this helps.  Have a nice day.

0 Likes
jjbmack

Thanks.  That clears it up for me!

0 Likes
brianm72

Make sure that not only the Wi-Fi is on, but that it's connected.  turning on WiFi doesn't automatically connect it unless you've connected to that same WiFi before.  You'll know if you're connected by checking the icon next to the signal strength indicator.  If it says 3G then you're using your data allowance. 

Also, if you're on a family plan and this is your first phone you can take advantage of the smartphones talk free promotion.  They give you a $10 credit if you get the unlimited plan so it only ends up costing you $5 more than the 150MB plan, and lasts for the term of the contract.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

also, make sure you go into settings for wifi and set sleep policy to "never" so it doesn't switch back to 3G.

0 Likes
YOCO

Wow, I never understood why we had wifi on these phones until now.  Thanks for explaining it.  Should the sleep policy always be set to "never" or just when we are using wifi?

0 Likes
brianm72

Yes it's a great tool.  I travel out of the country frequently so I can still connect to WiFi and do almost everything I do at home without paying roaming charges.  I say "almost" because when I'm behind "The Great Firewall" in China the internet becomes much different.

0 Likes