3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 5, 2011 11:41 PM by zar100 RSS

How do I calculate data usage?

EmilyPN

I am thinking of upgrading to a phone like the Droid.  How do I calculate how much data I am likely to use.   I would only answer emails occasionally.  My most likely usage besides making calls would be finding local businesses and checking bus and train times on Trimet in Portland Oregon.

• 1. Re: How do I calculate data usage?
          budone

That is a tough question to answer. If answering emails, that means you will be receiving emails?? Will you download attachments or images in the emails??? How many emails do you receive????Will you be where there is an active open WiFi connection????

I suggest go with the 150MB plan and watch data use onlne. If you go over call CS and change to the unlimited plan and have the plan backdated so you are not paying for the overages.

Even if not using all that much, if your weather page is updating, or the news page is, THAT is using data.

• 2. Re: How do I calculate data usage?
            ilrath22

budone wrote:

That is a tough question to answer. If answering emails, that means you will be receiving emails?? Will you download attachments or images in the emails??? How many emails do you receive????Will you be where there is an active open WiFi connection????

I suggest go with the 150MB plan and watch data use onlne. If you go over call CS and change to the unlimited plan and have the plan backdated so you are not paying for the overages.

Even if not using all that much, if your weather page is updating, or the news page is, THAT is using data.

It is important to note that if you are using personal e-mail using the web browser, you are not actually downloading e-mails unless you open them (which means you need to worry less about the e-mails you receive, and more about the e-mails you send.  (Though if you are using an "e-mail app" on your phone, you are using data for each e-mail that comes in as well as the e-mails you send.)  If you are looking up local businesses using YP.com or a similar browser page, most of their pages are relatively small (even full version pages are only 5-8 KB at most (1024 KB = 1 MB).  Many web based e-mails use advertisements so are slightly larger (10-15 KB).

• 3. Re: How do I calculate data usage?
              zar100

But if you have GPS enabled, you are using data