3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 26, 2010 5:09 PM by budone RSS

Weird Problems With New Data Plan

Themightyone_MD

Hi. I just received a new Droid smartphone and have been having a great time looking through the phone and seeing all of the cool things you can do with it. I have downloaded a couple of programs and what not by connecting to my home Wi-Fi service, but I haven't used up THAT much MB's of space. However, this morning I got a text from verizon saying that I exceeded my $15 a month Data limit, but I don't see how this is possible. When I go to my account online and check out how much I've used, it tells me I've used up about 28 MB's out of 150, which is the limit. Is this just a glitch or is it a problem I need to to address with haste? Will it add on to the bill? Also, has anyone else had this problem before?

• 1. Re: Weird Problems With New Data Plan
          budone

When you look online at data used it is usually 24-36 hours behind. it is not current......

When you have WiFi marked, if you leave the connection it will fall back to a 3G conenction.

On a Droid, unless you are diligent on confirming your connection you will easily go over the 150MB limit. But it can be done.

My cycle starts on the 14th and even though I use my WiFi connection at home all the time, I am aleady at 95MB of data use for the month.

• 2. Re: Weird Problems With New Data Plan
            CharmingPhlsphr

It can take a bit of time to update, like the last poster wrote. If I can make a suggestion, though: with using a droid device, consider placing the unlimited package and cutting the loss from the increase. If you go over, even by a byte, it will charge you for another full 150MB allowance, basically eliminating the savings. The Droid devices are insatiable data hogs (it is like slop to them). I see a lot of instances where users go over this feature when attempting to save a bit of money. On the Droid phones, it is usually not worth the risk of overage.

• 3. Re: Weird Problems With New Data Plan
              budone

Also to add to Charming Ph....... if you change your plan now to umlimited, BE SURE to have it backdated to cover the overages.