Viewing Text Messages Online
rhdoyle
Enthusiast - Level 1

As I parent I noticed you offer the parent usage controls option for $4.99 a month. In this era with all the cyber safety issues and bullying that takes place via texting I think Verizon should offer us as part of that option to view the text messages online. Currently I believe you can only retrieve the text messages from Verizon through a police request. I think as part of the parental usage controls we should be able to view the text messages online. For example: I look at my daughters phone usage I see text messages from phone # xxx-xxxx and I can select a + that will expand and show me the actual text. Its not that I want to invade privacy but with all the news about bullying and suicides via text we need to be able to monitor that especially when a kid is too embarrassed to show you and they erase it....it should be an option as part of parental usage controls.

Labels (1)
Re: Viewing Text Messages Online
spottedcatfish
Champion - Level 3

You've cited the exact reason why Verizon probably won't make this an option - privacy.  Verizon has no way of verifying that the phone is being used by a minor, and that you, as the account owner, have legal permission to view the contents of the message.  Remember, of course, that you also have to consider the privacy of the sender in this equation.

My reccomendation would be to use the list of numbers texted to compare to the messages you find on your child's phone, if you find missing messages, then restrict their ability to text to the numbers concerned, or in general until they understand that you need to be able to read those messages for their safety.

0 Likes
August03
Contributor - Level 3

Keep in mind you can see the time, date, and messaging number to and from of the text.

You would sign in to your My Verizon. You will lay your mouse on the word account at the top of the My Verizon page. You will click on bill, when the page loads choose the month for usage. Keep in mind the text data is available for the last  3 months, when a new month comes in the oldest month of text detail will drop off. After choosing the month for usage, you will click below the month to the blue link messaging. Below will bring up the text detail, but not the content of the messages.

0 Likes
mamasueof3
Enthusiast - Level 1

I wish as a parent they would offer this option. It would help us to help protect our children. My 15yr old daughter was assaulted and I looked thru her text messages for that day and want to see ALL messages without a court order,it takes money. I just wish as a parent this could change.

firstlady09
Contributor - Level 3

Thanks for the suggestion! I will be sure to pass this along to the product manager.

0 Likes
IzzyB
Enthusiast - Level 1

I don't see it as a privacy issue when it's among family members.  As the Account Holder, I should be able to view whatever I feel is necessary regarding my family.

spottedcatfish
Champion - Level 3

IzzyB wrote:

I don't see it as a privacy issue when it's among family members.  As the Account Holder, I should be able to view whatever I feel is necessary regarding my family.

There are two important things to consider here:

1) The privacy of the other party in the conversation - If I send a message to someone on your plan, you may be violating my privacy if that person does not give you explicit permission (such as access to their phone) to view the message.

2) Not all Family Share plans are made up of people who are related, and not all plan owners are the parents/guardians of the secondary line users - Consider a friend offering to put someone on their Share plan to help them save money, or a situation where an adult child is a secondary user, or even where the adult child is the account owner for their parents' lines.  All of these individuals have a reasonable right to the privacy of their conversations from the account owner.

The best thing to do if you want to protect your child is to use the list of texts you have in your account to ensure that you are seeing ALL of the texts when you review the contents of their phone.  If they are deleting texts, you will know and then you can take action.

budone
Legend

IzzyB wrote:

However, Verizon has no guarantee this is among family members and that is where they are stuck in a corner to not allow the release of the text info without a court agreeing for it to occur.  And if is a family over 18 they have a right to say no to the release of the info.

For children, it is tough, but it can be done. Ground rules need to be set, as a parent you have every right to get the phone from the child and read messages. If they delete messages, especially from a specific number (You can figure this out by looking at the online invoice) then texting is blocked until they agree to the rules.

I am not saying you, but many parents now days feels it is everyone elses responsibility to do the work they should be doing to raise their child, whether it be the schools, Verizon or whomever.

0 Likes
snyderd

I would like to see text traffic of my own. I sent a message and later deleted it by accident and am trying to search for it online. Its too bad this is not available. It would seem simple to do.

0 Likes
cmerighe
Enthusiast - Level 1

Privacy?  My son is 11, there is no such thing.  More importantly, I am concerned about predators who are willing to use any means to reach children.  If something ever happens to my children, and the phone ends up being the means, there will be hell to pay.

0 Likes