5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 1, 2011 9:36 PM by spottsmom RSS

will verizon pay off att for me to switch?

hthrchatman

i have att right now but thinking on switching but we have a $95 dollar fee on 2 phones to cancel the contract...will verizon sometimes pay for u to switch?

• 1. Re: will verizon pay off att for me to switch?
          spottedcatfish

I've never heard of Verizon offering that type of promotion, although I think other cell providers have done that in the past.  It is possible that they may offer paying your ETF as an incentive to switch, but I wouldn't wait around for it.  You already get a major incentive to signing a new contract with Verizon, a subsidized new phone.

• 2. Re: will verizon pay off att for me to switch?
            SuzyQ
            As catfish said, I don't think Verizon has ever offered this type of incentive to switch. I have heard other providers offering to pay your ETF to switch to them, but it's not an incentive that Verizon uses.
            • 3. Re: will verizon pay off att for me to switch?
              dj28

I had to reply to this as something like this happened to me once. I was with AT&T and had one month remaining on my contract. At the time Cingular was trying to get me as their customer. They told me that if i canceled they would "Pay off" My At&T agreement. So i left and signed up. 5 months later i recieved a bill for the final month that i did not pay plus a 500 early termination fee. It went on my credit report because i refused to pay it. I fought with cingular and they said i was lied to by the agent and that they do not do such things.

So i left them too. Then they slapped me withfees and early termination. It can sit on my credit report until i am dead. I dont care.

• 4. Re: will verizon pay off att for me to switch?
                Truth

dj28 wrote:

I had to reply to this as something like this happened to me once. I was with AT&T and had one month remaining on my contract. At the time Cingular was trying to get me as their customer. They told me that if i canceled they would "Pay off" My At&T agreement. So i left and signed up. 5 months later i recieved a bill for the final month that i did not pay plus a 500 early termination fee. It went on my credit report because i refused to pay it. I fought with cingular and they said i was lied to by the agent and that they do not do such things.

So i left them too. Then they slapped me withfees and early termination. It can sit on my credit report until i am dead. I dont care.

FYI, your mortgage lender will almost certainly require you to pay this off if you ever take out or refi a mortgage.  Chances are, you'll end up paying it off with interest and penalites, unless you rent for life or buy with cash.

PS - As I'm sure you know, ironically, Cingular and ATT later became one and the same.

• 5. Re: will verizon pay off att for me to switch?
                  spottsmom

Not really if you are not buying a home it will go away in 10 years LOL

It is a good lesson ALWAYS get it in Writing.

I have been there in another situation where the company tried to change mid way Thankfully  it did not cost me anything i spoke to a lawyer