8 Replies Latest reply: Dec 16, 2010 6:02 PM by SuzyQ RSS

Replacing a broken phone?

Squelchi

I have the Samsung Reality.  I got it in July this year.  About a month ago, I had it in a pocket of my purse and my water bottle opened up and leaked on it, and I didn't realize until about 5 minutes later.  I tried the white rice trick, and it did dry out and can do basic things (texts, calls and can go through options and tools and whatnot) but I have to constantly charge it or it will die at the end of the day, even if I barely use it.  The camera is distorted, and sometimes it doesn't work at all, the screen is tinted blue, and there wasn't a memory card in it at the time, but when I try to put one in to retrieve my pictures (since it freezes when I try to look at them to send them to my email), it doesn't read the card.  I took it to Verizon to see what they could do.

They told me that they no longer make the Reality, and I couldn't even get a refurbished one.  They did however say that I could get the DOWNgrade, the Samsung Rogue, for $170.  It didn't make sense that they had an older one and not the one that I had just gotten a few months before, but whatever.  The guy there did say that they were coming out with an upgrade for the Reality in a week or two, but he claimed he didn't know what it was called or anything about it.  I have been checking up with them to see if the new phone is available yet, but it's not.  My mother said I could use her upgrade to get a new phone, but I feel bad using her upgrade in case something happens to her phone, and I don't really like what they have available right now. I like my Reality. =/  So I just figured I'd deal with my broken phone for a while.

Last night, I dropped my phone in the toilet... Smooth move, I know.  It's sitting in rice as of right now, but it wasn't responding the same way as when it got wet the first time.  So I don't know if it will work the way it did before.  So I was thinking about just getting one on Ebay or something, and activating it with my number.  Will Verizon do that?  I'm on my family's plan so it will be cheaper for me, and I want to stay that way.  I just don't know if they will take a foreign phone and activate it under the same plan.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. =)

• 1. Re: Replacing a broken phone?
          budone

Yo can pick up a phone off ebay and use it on Verizon. The device has to be a Verizon branded phone AND the ESN/MEID needs to be clear..... ie there is not any outstanding balance on the phone, stolen, lost.....

Verizon also offers CPO phones (Used and refurbed) which come with a one year warranty.

Here is a link to the program.

• 2. Re: Replacing a broken phone?
            Squelchi

Thanks.  Also.  Does it matter if it was a prepaid phone or a former plan phone?  I'm assuming no, but I forgot to ask.

• 3. Re: Replacing a broken phone?
              budone

A prepaid phone has to have been Verizon branded AND active as a pre paid phone for at lewst 6 months.

PS I added more to my prior post about CPO phones

• 4. Re: Replacing a broken phone?
                Squelchi

Cool.  And how do I go about activating the new phone, just bring it to Verizon?  And can they transfer all my contacts over?

• 5. Re: Replacing a broken phone?
                  budone

If your phone went in the drink I doubt they will be able to transfer contacts.

• 6. Re: Replacing a broken phone?
                    Squelchi

Well if I do manage to get it turned on, I'll just write the contacts down just in case... But thank you for your help, I appreciate it.  =)

• 7. Re: Replacing a broken phone?
                      michaelslw

since your phone is still under 1-year warrenty, aren't you entitled to a phone for free and not $170 (even if you don't like the phone itself)?

I mean granted when my phone broke within 1-year, I got a same one in replacement for FREE, but just because they don't make reality anymore, doesn't mean they shouldn't give you another "phone" for free.

Or is this a case of manufactuerer defect vs. damanged/lost/stolen? please enlighten me.

• 8. Re: Replacing a broken phone?
                        SuzyQ

michaelslw wrote:

since your phone is still under 1-year warrenty, aren't you entitled to a phone for free and not $170 (even if you don't like the phone itself)?  Warranty covers manufacturer's defects only....

I mean granted when my phone broke within 1-year, I got a same one in replacement for FREE, but just because they don't make reality anymore, doesn't mean they shouldn't give you another "phone" for free. If there are refurbished models of the phone, you will get that.  If there are none available, then you will get a "like" model, and the warehouse determines what "like" means, not you.

Or is this a case of manufactuerer defect vs. damanged/lost/stolen? Yup.  please enlighten me.

You got it right, michaelslw - the warranty covers manufacturer's defects; you would have to have insurance to cover the physical damage, lost, or stolen scenarios.  Since this one had water damamge in the purse, and from a swim in the toilet, warranty is long gone....