1 Reply Latest reply: Dec 1, 2010 5:55 AM by spottedcatfish RSS

Phone stolen and Verizon will not activate my old phone.

tsholmes88

My phone was stolen. I'm on a two year contract. Insurance says I have to pay a deductible of $39 for a replacement when I got the phone free in the first place. Why have insurance when you have to pay deductibles. You'd be better off just not paying it and saving the money you would be paying in any ways in a cookie jar and just pull it out when you need it. They won't activate my LG Glimmer because it is an Alltel phone. Which I think alternative is a crock when I have another phone but they won't activate because it's an Alltel CDMA phone. Remind me again which company bought Alltel again, and since they own all the technology that Alltel owned why they can't activate them. I paid $250 for the phone brand new on a Alltel contract and do believe that that money is now owned by Verizon. :robotmad:

• 1. Re: Phone stolen and Verizon will not activate my old phone.
          spottedcatfish

tsholmes88 wrote:

My phone was stolen. I'm on a two year contract. Insurance says I have to pay a deductible of $39 for a replacement when I got the phone free in the first place. Why have insurance when you have to pay deductibles. You'd be better off just not paying it and saving the money you would be paying in any ways in a cookie jar and just pull it out when you need it.  I believe this to be absolutely true, which is why I don't purchase insurance on my phones and instead set aside money to replace them in the event they are lost, stolen or damaged.  That choice is yours to make, and the Terms & Conditions of the insurance, including replacement fees and procedures was available for you to review before you signed up.  In the future, make the choice that makes sense for you by learning about your options and picking the one you like the best and that suits your needs.

They won't activate my LG Glimmer because it is an Alltel phone. Which I think alternative is a crock when I have another phone but they won't activate because it's an Alltel CDMA phone. Remind me again which company bought Alltel again, and since they own all the technology that Alltel owned why they can't activate them. I paid $250 for the phone brand new on a Alltel contract and do believe that that money is now owned by Verizon. :robotmad:  Alltel phones are not compatible with Verizon plans.  If you switched to a Verizon plan, you can no longer use your Alltel phone.  It doesn't really matter why this is true, all that matters is that it IS true.

You can probably find a cheap Verizon basic phone on eBay or Craigslist to act as a replacement.  Just be sure it is Verizon-branded and has a clear ESN before you purchase.  On the whole, I'd say your best option is to use the insurance this time (since you paid for it) and then cancel it going forward if you don't like the terms.