3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 29, 2010 12:43 AM by budone RSS

Looking to add a person to my account - am I understanding this right?

henry2

Firstly, really nice forum software, but could it be any more painful to log in?! There should be an option to use your existing info for login and just ask when you want your name to appear as... I feel like I filled out the same form again right after the verification e-mail!

So I am looking to add a line to my plan for my girlfriend, whose phone is dying. I am about 6 months ahead of my upgrade (end of 2-year contract). From what I can tell it appears that I can add a line or turn my plan into a family share plan in the middle of a contract. However it appears that this does not trigger two-year phone pricing or anything? We want to make the move to smartphones, am I right that we have these three options?

1. In 6 months, at end of contract, create family share plan and get two year pricing on two smartphones

2. Immediately, terminate contract, apply for new contract with above plan. (Come to think of it, this might not be legal with VZ?)

3. Immediately, create family share plan and get the cheapest possible or maybe even a free phone until end of contract when 2-year pricing and phone discounts are in effect.

Thank your for your input and suggestions!

• 1. Re: Looking to add a person to my account - am I understanding this right?
          budone

If your GF is out of contract, I would just add a line to my account and select a family plan and get her a phone and port her number over. (If she still wants it).

If she is NOT out of contract and is with VZW, you can do an Assumption of Liabilty to bring her into your account and then you can choose a family plan and wait to get new phones. (This does not add time to either contract)

If each of you are more than 12 months into your current contracts, (that is if she is on VZW also) and have a base plan of $49.99 or more a month, each can upgrade now at two year pricing. You forego your NE2 discounts and each MAY pay an add'l $20 but you each could get your new phones now and THEN bring her into your account via an AOL. This will change your contracts dates two more years from date of activation.

I hope I did not confuse you too much.

• 2. Re: Looking to add a person to my account - am I understanding this right?
            henry2

Thank you very much for your post.

She is actually a Sprint customer right now so the assumption of liability wouldn't be in there. However I am more than 12 months through my contract and over $49, I didn't know this made me eligible for a 2 year renewal! When I select upgrade from the website, it shows new phones at full price, not two-year price.

I see that I can pretty much go for new phones right now, the only downside not having the NE2 discount?

• 3. Re: Looking to add a person to my account - am I understanding this right?
              budone

The base plan needs to be over $49, the add ons, text, data do not counts towards the $49