5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 20, 2010 5:51 PM by budone RSS

Using Prepaid phones on a Plan?

erjessen

I've had a question for a while about Verizon's policy on using prepaid Verizon phones on a plan.  Does Verizon allow the use of prepaid phones on a plan?  If so, do I have to take the phone in to a Verizon store to have it activated, or do normal activation procedures apply?  Any help on the matter, preferably from a member of Verizon Wireless's staff, would be appreciated greatly.  I'd like to know as soon as possible, as my Motorola KRZR K1m just died, and I'm not eligible for an upgrade for another year and a half.  Sending the phone in for warranty service is not an option, as the phone is four years old.

Thanks in advance for any help on the matter.

• 1. Re: Using Prepaid phones on a Plan?
          budone
          If the prepaid phone is older than 6 months old you can most likely use it.
          • 2. Re: Using Prepaid phones on a Plan?
            erjessen

budone wrote:
            If the prepaid phone is older than 6 months old you can most likely use it.

That's not really what I was asking.  My phone is on a plan.  I need a replacement, and I'm not currently eligible for a subsidized replacement from VZW.  What I need to know is if I can use any of the currently available Verizon Wireless prepaid phones on my currently active service plan.

• 3. Re: Using Prepaid phones on a Plan?
              spottedcatfish

erjessen wrote:

That's not really what I was asking.  My phone is on a plan.  I need a replacement, and I'm not currently eligible for a subsidized replacement from VZW.  What I need to know is if I can use any of the currently available Verizon Wireless prepaid phones on my currently active service plan.

No, you cannot.  A prepaid device must be active on prepaid service for 6 months before it can be used with contract service.

Your options for getting a cheaper new device include: Purchasing a used phone from another source such as Ebay or Craigslist, or contacting Verizon and asking about what Certified Pre-Owned devices they have available right now.

• 4. Re: Using Prepaid phones on a Plan?
                erjessen

spottedcatfish wrote:

erjessen wrote:

No, you cannot.  A prepaid device must be active on prepaid service for 6 months before it can be used with contract service.

Your options for getting a cheaper new device include: Purchasing a used phone from another source such as Ebay or Craigslist, or contacting Verizon and asking about what Certified Pre-Owned devices they have available right now.

Darn.  The only CP-O devices I see on the website are Droids.  I guess I'll go look on Craigslist.  Thanks.

• 5. Re: Using Prepaid phones on a Plan?
                  budone
                  There are many CPO phones. Here is a link. http://shop.verizonwireless.com/?id=CPO+Phones