Is there any place that gives a step-by-step instruction on switching blackberry devices?
I'm receiving new 9650 tomorrow as an upgrade from an 8330.
Using Blackberry Desktop Software
Switch your device
Before you switch from your current BlackBerry® device to a new BlackBerry device, you should verify that you have the most recent version
of the BlackBerry® Desktop Software on your computer.
1. Connect your current device to your computer with a USB cable.
2. In the BlackBerry Desktop Software, click Device > Switch device.
3. Click the icon for your current device.
4. Do any of the following:
• To transfer your existing device data to your new device, select the Device data check box.
• To transfer any third-party applications that are compatible with your new device, select the Third-party
applications check box.
5. Click Next. Your device data is backed up.
6. At the prompt, connect your new device to your computer with a USB cable and click Next.
7. Click the icon for your new device.
Your device data is imported to your new device.
8. Move your SIM card and your media card (if you have one) to your new device.
More info available at www.blackberry.com
I'm afraid that most of your 3rd party apps may not work on your 9650. I recently upgraded from a 8330 to a 9630 and found that, primarily because of the screen resolution, most games and many apps did not work. I would recommend that you do the device switch and copy over all address book, calendar, etc settings, but reinstall any games or apps. Almost any company that you purchased 3rd party apps from will help you get them installed on your new BB.
btw Good luck with your new Bold. That's the one that I would still like to get.