3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 15, 2010 11:29 PM by Grothka RSS

phone broke/not eligible for an upgrade until next May

jp90

my phone broke and i am not eligible for an upgrade until next May, so i'd like to get a new phone. will they let me cancel my current line and sign up for a new line with a new phone?

• 1. Re: phone broke/not eligible for an upgrade until next May
          Spiral

jp90 wrote:

my phone broke and i am not eligible for an upgrade until next May, so i'd like to get a new phone. will they let me cancel my current line and sign up for a new line with a new phone?

I believe there will be a 3 month waiting period before you will be allowed to establish a new line.  You will lose your current number (not sure if that matters) with the canceling of the current line along with payment of the ETF (Early Termination Fee).

• 2. Re: phone broke/not eligible for an upgrade until next May
            SuzyQ

No - you need to wait 6 months(?) or something like that (I see Spiral has said 3 months; I was guessing, but I knew there was some time period you had to wait)  before starting a new account after canceling - if you cancel they will charge you termination fees, or charge you full price for the new phone on the new account.

I would shop ebay, ask friends, see if you can find another source for a phone that will get you through till you can get a discounted phone on your account in May. Find an inexpensive phone somewhere or borrow if possible.  Look into Verizon's CPO program (ceritified, pre-owned) - if you have no insurance and are not eligible for an upgrade, you may qualify to get a phone this way, though it MAY extend your contract too.

• 3. Re: phone broke/not eligible for an upgrade until next May
              Grothka
              I don't see any reason why jp would need to cancel the whole account... just set up a new line on the same account and cancel the current one that you have... account will stay the same, you'll just have record of 2 lines being on there (one disconnected, on still active).