3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 16, 2010 3:37 PM by MorganB RSS

What is least expensive plan for smartphone and wifi hotspot?

phonelessFrank

What is least expensive plan for smartphone and wifi hotspot?  I would probably want 1 -2GB or so of use for the hotspot, to allow access for my laptop when needed.  I don't need a lot of minutes, really my usage is 100 - 200 mins/month,  no or very little text, and some date use from phone, maybe 1 GB?

Thanks for any ideas!

FF

• 1. Re: What is least expensive plan for smartphone and wifi hotspot?
          budone

The Hotspot option is $20/month/2GB. You will need the $30 unlimited data plan for the 1GB of data a month. Then a $40 plan for phone use.

• 2. Re: What is least expensive plan for smartphone and wifi hotspot?
            dimap

Isn't that nice :smileyhappy: $40+$30+$20=$90 + tax.. When I tethered my old  Moto Q, tethering was $15 for 5 gig.

The kicker of it all is that VZW does have cheaper plans. But not for YOU.

1 $30 200 minute plan   sorry, that 's for old folks.

2 $20 1 Gig data plan   oops that's just for tablets.   Oh, and wi-fi htospot in INCLUDED too at no extra charge.

So if I could get that  "bundle" on a smartphone, that would be $50+ tax for 200 mins, 1 Gig data & tethering. Perfect  plan for me. But nerp. No way they're gonna let me do THAT. Totally k.o.'s their A.R.P.U.

And now I see they took off the contract  prices online for all data devices. No more subsidized netbooks, tablets, mifi's or modems. All listed at full retail now. Month to month service. OK fine. So now why should it matter if i have a netbook or a modem purchased retail on month to month? Why can't  I have the same plans the tablets get?

Select the plan tht's right for me the logo says? Yeah right. The plan that's "right for me" is the plan verizon offers on the device they want to sell, to the demographic they wish to target, not necessarily the device I want to buy, at a price I can afford, with the service that suits MY needs.

• 3. Re: What is least expensive plan for smartphone and wifi hotspot?
              MorganB

phonelessFrank wrote:

What is least expensive plan for smartphone and wifi hotspot?  I would probably want 1 -2GB or so of use for the hotspot, to allow access for my laptop when needed.  I don't need a lot of minutes, really my usage is 100 - 200 mins/month,  no or very little text, and some date use from phone, maybe 1 GB?

Thanks for any ideas!

FF

Verizon Wireless is currently offering 3G Mobile Hotspot free on Palm devices that are still offered by Verizon Wireless. Depending on which device you have, and/or upgrade to here is an option that is lease expensive that would be suitable for your usage.

Device: Palm® Pixi™ Plus

Plan: Nationwide Talk 450 minutes $39.99/month

• Per-Minute Rate After Allowance $0.45
              • 20¢ per text or add packages starting at $5.00/month

Data Package:

•  $15.00/month (150MB with Mobile Email)
              •  $29.99/month (unlimited Email & Web)

3G Mobile Hotspot: (5GB allowance)

• Free (promotion for Palm Pixi Plus)
              • 5GB monthly data allowance applies to all data transmitted (on handset and shared devices) while the Palm mobile hotspot application is active.
              •