5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 13, 2010 9:52 PM by Majik6 RSS

I got a new phone 6 months ago, and now the one I REALLY want is released!

Majik6

I held out for the longest time for Blackberry to release the Torch on Verizon a year ago.  Finally I gave up and got the HTC Incredible under my new every two.  It's ok, but I do miss the keyboard.  Now, the Motorola Droid Pro is released - THE PHONE I've been waiting for with a keyboard.  On the front page it's advertised for $179 after a mail-in rebate (and 2 yr contract etc etc).  Well, I went to check it out and I am not eligible to buy a new phone except at full price.... $479!!

Is this true, or am I overlooking something?  Is my only option to wait another 18 months where I can upgrade to whatever phone comes out by then?  It seems odd that in such a rapidly changing market that a contract that locks you in for 2 years would be beneficial.  At the rate phones are progressing, I could see myself buying a new phone every year... but not at almost $500.

• 1. Re: I got a new phone 6 months ago, and now the one I REALLY want is released!
          spottedcatfish

The reason phones are cheap with two-year contracts is that Verizon anticipates making all of the money they LOSE on the initial sale of the phone back in payments from you over the course of the contract.  In the future, know that you CAN choose to sign a 1-year contract.  The phone will cost a little more up front, generally $70, but you will be eligible for an upgrade at 10 months and out of your contract completely after 12 months with that option.

As for right now, you will be not be eligible for a standard upgrade (and possibly a New Every 2 credit) until month 20 of your contract, so about 14 months from now.  If you are the primary line on a Family Share plan, or have an Individual plan where the calling portion (Talk or Talk & Text) is valued at more than $34.99, you will get a small NE2 credit to further reduce the cost of your new phone when you upgrade.  It will be valued at $30 or $50 depending on the value of your calling plan.

You may be eligible for an annual upgrade at month 12 of your contract (so in about 6 months), if you are either the primary line on a Family Share plan, or if the calling portion of your Individual plan is valued at $49.99 or higher (again, that's just the Talk or Talk & Text portion, addons like data do not count toward that amount).

So, unless you are eligible for an annual upgrade in 6 months, it looks like you will have to wait about 14 months to get a new phone at a subsidized price.  You could always keep an eye on eBay and see if anyone decides to sell their Pro at a price you can afford, just be sure to check the ESN with Verizon first.

Good luck!

• 2. Re: I got a new phone 6 months ago, and now the one I REALLY want is released!
            Spiral

Yes it is true, you received a premium phone probably for a great price (using your NE2) and agreed to a 2 year contract to get that great price.  Welcome to the real world.

That being said, as you say there will always be something better coming along that we all want to have.  In this techno world, it cost money to have the newest and the best and if you are not willing to spend $500 don't expect to always have the best.

• 3. Re: I got a new phone 6 months ago, and now the one I REALLY want is released!
              Majik6

spottedcatfish wrote:If you are the primary line on a Family Share plan, or have an Individual plan where the calling portion (Talk or Talk & Text) is valued at more than $34.99, you will get a small NE2 credit to further reduce the cost of your new phone when you upgrade.  It will be valued at $30 or $50 depending on the value of your calling plan.

You may be eligible for an annual upgrade at month 12 of your contract (so in about 6 months), if you are either the primary line on a Family Share plan, or if the calling portion of your Individual plan is valued at $49.99 or higher (again, that's just the Talk or Talk & Text portion, addons like data do not count toward that amount).

Hmm... we may be on to something.  My mother is on my family plan right now.  She's up for a new every two, but I'm not.  And, she's about to get off my plan.  I wonder if I can have them apply her new every two to my account, and then drop her.  That would be more helpful to them than just her dropping off the plan altogether.

Then again... these contracts don't always make the most sense either.

• 4. Re: I got a new phone 6 months ago, and now the one I REALLY want is released!
                spottedcatfish

Majik6 wrote:

Hmm... we may be on to something.  My mother is on my family plan right now.  She's up for a new every two, but I'm not.  And, she's about to get off my plan.  I wonder if I can have them apply her new every two to my account, and then drop her.  That would be more helpful to them than just her dropping off the plan altogether.

Then again... these contracts don't always make the most sense either.

What you describe is called an alternate upgrade.  Your mother would choose to upgrade her line, sign a new 2-year contract with Verizon and then give you the new phone to activate on your line.  The problem with this is that you would then incur an Early Termination Fee of $350 when you cancelled her line.

Each line on a Family Share plan has its own contract, and different lines on the plan can have different contract dates.  Unless your mother is planning on keeping her line of service, it would not make sense to have her sign a new contract to get you a new phone, because with the ETF added in, you could have bought the phone brand new.

You signed the two year contract, if you want a new phone now, you'll have to pay full price.  Next time, only sign a 1 year contract, then you can get a phone every 10 months, or keep a high enough value calling plan to qualify for the Annual Upgrade.

• 5. Re: I got a new phone 6 months ago, and now the one I REALLY want is released!
                  Majik6

Ugh, frustrating, but thank you for the info.  I should have held out an additional 6mos! 

I guess I'll check out the used phone market and see what they have in a couple mos.