4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 15, 2010 3:27 PM by ibanez737 RSS

"On track to incur overage charges..."

hbeardave

I'm a bit confused by a text I just received from VZW.

It says that I'm "on track to incur overage charges for Minutes, Data, or Messages."

With only 8 days left of the billing cycle, on family share plan we've used a total of 250 of 700 peak minutes

Data is supposedly unlimited on our Droids...I've used about 2GB, wife less than 1GB.

We don't have a text plan...but have received 23 texts, for which I expect to pay $0.20/msg  (roughly $1,500/megabyte!!!)

(the number of texts is unusual...a friend did not realize we were paying per msg)

What in there is on track for overage?

Off-peak min: 485

"M2M Calling Peak":  900 min

...but my understanding is that there is no charge for those two types.

What criteria does VZW use for sending these warnings?

• 1. Re: "On track to incur overage charges..."
          crimedoggies

hbeardave wrote:

I'm a bit confused by a text I just received from VZW.

It says that I'm "on track to incur overage charges for Minutes, Data, or Messages."

With only 8 days left of the billing cycle, on family share plan we've used a total of 250 of 700 peak minutes

Data is supposedly unlimited on our Droids...I've used about 2GB, wife less than 1GB.

We don't have a text plan...but have received 23 texts, for which I expect to pay $0.20/msg  (roughly $1,500/megabyte!!!)

(the number of texts is unusual...a friend did not realize we were paying per msg)

What in there is on track for overage?

Off-peak min: 485

"M2M Calling Peak":  900 min

...but my understanding is that there is no charge for those two types.

What criteria does VZW use for sending these warnings?

The message was generated because you are using text messaging without a texting plan.  Once the charges for that exceed a certain level ( I think $2) then the message is sent.

• 2. Re: "On track to incur overage charges..."
            Grothka
            I'm splitting hairs here, but I would think it would be when going over $5 in text for expected usage, because at that point it becomes a better deal to be on the $5 text plan.
            • 3. Re: "On track to incur overage charges..."
              ilrath22

Grothka wrote:
              I'm splitting hairs here, but I would think it would be when going over $5 in text for expected usage, because at that point it becomes a better deal to be on the $5 text plan.

It's not a matter of cheaper or "better". . .because the FTC is investigating what they call "bill shock", mobile phone carriers are getting out ahead of them by letting you know that you're bill is going to be higher than expected.  VZW (and other carriers) are trying to avoid having the FTC tell them that they have to cut off unusual usage (which may or may not happen) much like the Movie industry is "self regulating" to avoid having the federal government tell them how to regulate their industry (as the video game industry is as well)

• 4. Re: "On track to incur overage charges..."
                ibanez737

Like others have said, it's probably the messaging.  Based on that, you're just shy of $5, but like the above poster mentioned, VZW has certain triggers that once you hit a certain usage percentage/amount, they will send a message so you aren't racking up a $1000 bill "without knowledge"