1 2 Previous Next 12 Replies Latest reply: Nov 26, 2010 4:31 AM by silver6055 RSS

Status of Backup Assistant for Contact Information

BillW

Can some one tell me (preferably a Verizon technical resource) the status of Backup Assistant for Contact Information?

I upgraded to a new phone a few weeks ago, and when searching MyVerizon saw the availability of the "free" contact backup capability...     It is not really free for me, because I don't have a data/text plan, so I had to pay for the app download and sync text transfer.    I figured it would be worth a few dollars to have the backup capability and ability to enter data from a keyboard instead of the numeric pad (I have a flip phone without a qwerty keyboard).     The sync import of my phone's contact list worked fine, and I spent quite a bit of time updating addresses online...   However, the changes online were not exported back to my phone, so my  work added no value me.  

I attempted to wait a few days to see if a regular update would resolve the problem...   Tried making a few updates today--the web application seemed buggier than a few weeks ago...  If I tried to input more that a one field, it refused to save the contact.   I could update by doing small updates and saving, but this was painful...   Tried several times to update the ICE contacts--they would appear to be OK, but after a save the changes were lost...

Tried reading documentation to see if there was an explanation of how to download changes made online to phone...     Could find nothing other than instructions to download to a "new" phone...

Came to the forum to see if there was a message here that would help me...   I was very disappointed to see that the Backup Assistant has apparently been "broken" for several weeks with no apparent resolution timeframe available.  

As an IT guy, I was appalled that Verizon does not have anything on the web site that warns users that there is a problem with the site and gives an approximate resolution time for the problem.    This is always a priority for my group--make the users aware of the problem and give them status on resolution progress.  Verizon's lack of information has let me waste time and money trying to work with an application that is known to be broken.

Key questions for me:

1)  Can the cost of downloading backup assistant and the syncing be refunded to me?   (The service to date has only provides me with a frustrating online update experience with no benefit to me on my phone.)

2)  When will the site be functioning with normal capability?

3)  What is normal function?   Are the problems that I have had with updates due to the problem discussed in other posts or are they standard features of buggy code?

4)  If the application were working normally, how would one do updates online and have those updates exported back to the phone?

• 1. Re: Status of Backup Assistant for Contact Information
          August03
          Back up assistance is included with your Verizon Wireless Service.

• There are no text messaging, MB (Megabyte), or airtime charges for backups / syncs initiated from the device or website account.  

The function of back up assistance online is as follows:

You can:

• View, edit, delete, print, and add contacts.
          • AutoSync updated contacts to the device’s address book. 
          • You can print your contacts in the Backup Assistant address book online.
          • You can create a new contact from the website
          • You can delete a contact from the website
          • You can use your  My Verizon User ID and Password to login to their Backup Assistant online account. To sync, you only need to start Backup Assistant on their device and select Backup Now. Once complete, you will be able to login to your online account. 
          • Also you can sign in to the Backup Assistantwebsite and press the Syncbutton.Upon each login (after the initial login) to the Backup Assistant website, the contacts will be synced with the device. Follow the link below to view this information about back up assistance (http://support.vzw.com/clc/features/data_services/backup_assistant.html)
          You can also sign into your back up assistance by following this link below.

• 2. Re: Status of Backup Assistant for Contact Information
            BillW

I think that you are missing my point.   I read all of your linked documentation before....   The phone did sync my contacts up to the webpage....   I made several changes to the contacts on the webpage, but these changes were not sent back to my phone.   The initial attempt was about 3 weeks ago.    Since then I have NOT been able to get the changes downloaded to my phone.   When I attempt to sync, it says there are no changes on my phone since last sync (which is correct)--then it asks if I want to connect to check and download changes from the website.   I connect and 0 messages are sent and 0 messages are received.   I have made new changes to contacts on the web site, and they are not sent to phone.   Seems like the sync is one way.    I have considered clearing contacts from phone and attempting complete refresh of phone, but I fear that I would lose all contacts and have to re-enter information (painfully without qwerty keyboard) on my phone.   The web app seems buggy, because it often crashes and does not save information as I enter it.  

After reading documentation and trying to make backup assistant work several times, I came to the forum to see if there were tips.   What I read here frightened me since there was widespread discussion of the web Backup Assistant being down for weeks, other users losing contacts, and others not being able to get downloads working.  

Regarding charges, I understood that the initial download of Backup Assistant would consume about 1MB of data transmission, and about 636KB shows up under my usage.   I assume that I will be billed for this which is disappointing because to date Backup Assistant has only uploaded my phone contacts to the web, and I cannot make changes on the web that are downloaded to my phone.   Use of the buggy web app has been frustrating, and I doubt that I would be able to download my contacts if phone is lost or fails based upon my experience to date.

I don't want references to documentation the tells me how the application is "supposed" to work.   I want information on how to make it work if possible.   If it is currently broken as many others have reported, I want to know when it will be repaired and functioning.   I would also like to know what function is really in the application, so I do not waste further time and money trying to make it work.

Thanks,

Bill

• 3. Re: Status of Backup Assistant for Contact Information
              SuzyQ

BillW wrote:

Can some one tell me (preferably a Verizon technical resource) the status of Backup Assistant for Contact Information? I doubt you will get anything but the "canned" response from the employees and techies....we are aware of a problem and have no estimated time of resolution.  :smileysad:

I upgraded to a new phone a few weeks ago, and when searching MyVerizon saw the availability of the "free" contact backup capability...     It is not really free for me, because I don't have a data/text plan, so I had to pay for the app download and sync text transfer.   Yeah, I hear that.  $1.99....  I figured it would be worth a few dollars to have the backup capability and ability to enter data from a keyboard instead of the numeric pad (I have a flip phone without a qwerty keyboard).     The sync import of my phone's contact list worked fine, and I spent quite a bit of time updating addresses online...   However, the changes online were not exported back to my phone, so my  work added no value me. That's where the current issue is - syncing online changes back to the phone. 

I attempted to wait a few days to see if a regular update would resolve the problem...   Tried making a few updates today--the web application seemed buggier than a few weeks ago...  If I tried to input more that a one field, it refused to save the contact.   I could update by doing small updates and saving, but this was painful...   Tried several times to update the ICE contacts--they would appear to be OK, but after a save the changes were lost...

Tried reading documentation to see if there was an explanation of how to download changes made online to phone...     Could find nothing other than instructions to download to a "new" phone...  The "sync" with the online system is supposed to happen automatically.  I set the option on my phone (go to BA on the phone, Options >> Set Schedule.  I have mine set to late night.)  It is supposed to connect to your online backup and sync any changes.  Mine shows last back up at 10 days ago, and I am not inclined to hit the "back up NOW" option as that is what seems to be causing loss of contacts form the phone.

Came to the forum to see if there was a message here that would help me...   I was very disappointed to see that the Backup Assistant has apparently been "broken" for several weeks with no apparent resolution timeframe available.  

As an IT guy, I was appalled that Verizon does not have anything on the web site that warns users that there is a problem with the site and gives an approximate resolution time for the problem.    This is always a priority for my group--make the users aware of the problem and give them status on resolution progress.  Verizon's lack of information has let me waste time and money trying to work with an application that is known to be broken.

Key questions for me:

1)  Can the cost of downloading backup assistant and the syncing be refunded to me? Once the app is downloaded, there is no data charge for the syncing... and I doubt you will get the refund of the $1.99. (The service to date has only provides me with a frustrating online update experience with no benefit to me on my phone.)

2)  When will the site be functioning with normal capability? No clue... :smileysad:

3)  What is normal function?   Are the problems that I have had with updates due to the problem discussed in other posts or are they standard features of buggy code?  It has worked as you expect it would, for me, in the past.  I have used it for years, actually, and been pleased, and recommended it to others.  The recent debacle is very disappointing.

4)  If the application were working normally, how would one do updates online and have those updates exported back to the phone?  Normally, it would be automatically synced to your phone when you log out of the online service, and then a daily backup from your phone to the website would occur on the schedule you set.

I am not a Verizon employee, I am simply a customer, satisfied for the most part with my service, and I like to help others.  This recent BA mess is not fun....and I hope it gets resolved very soon.

• 4. Re: Status of Backup Assistant for Contact Information
                BillW

SuzyQ,

Thanks...   You should be a Verizon rep because you consistently give good information on the Forum...   Got my "real" manual for my phone from one of your postings....   

Reassuring to hear that BA used to work......   Hope they get it sorted out soon.  

I got a private message request to from Verizon to call tech support and report my problems....  When I called the rep said that a ticket had been opened on the problem on 10/29 based upon another report.   She promised to call me today to report the that the problem had been corrected (based on her assumption problems were normally fixed in 48-72 hours), but there was no call today... 

She expected to find a message on support saying that BA was broken, but like the rest of us could not find it... 

Thanks again,

Bill

• 5. Re: Status of Backup Assistant for Contact Information
                  SuzyQ
                  Thank you for your kind words! And I'm glad my posts helped out with your manual!

Another thread on this board reported that BA had worked and restored previously "lost" contacts, so perhaps it is functioning again? I sure hope so.
                  • 6. Re: Status of Backup Assistant for Contact Information
                    budone

Yep BA is working again...... kinda. Changes I made came to the phone, but it just added the info I changed to the phone but did not delete or overwirte what was already there. Better than nothing!

• 7. Re: Status of Backup Assistant for Contact Information
                      BillW

Sorta is the key word....   I tried syncing, and instead of just sitting there running the barber pole and doing nothing, it DID contact the phone and initiate a contact sync.   However, the information that I added on the web was NOT sent to the phone.   I tried doing some updates today, and they were not sent to the phone...

Just says 0/0 Sent then 0/0 Received....

So, I don't think it is (totally)  fixed...

The loss of contacts may be an illusion...   Several times when I was updating contacts the web app said that I had 0 entries, but then they would magically reappear....   May be related to expiration of login...  When I went back to home page to re-enter and force a refresh, it said my session was expired, and I needed to login...   Most sites base this on lack of activity, but I had been opening new pages and typing continually since logging in...  Only seem to get the expired message on home page too--a little odd compared to most web apps.

Bill

• 8. Re: Status of Backup Assistant for Contact Information
                        domeboys

I am evidence that lost contacts is not an illusion.

BA deleted them from my Pantech Jest last week. I have tried to resynch from both the phone and from the website as recently as ten minutes ago. While my contacts are apparently safe online, I can't get them back into my phone. This is very upsetting. When I called support yesterday, they barely acknowledged an issue with BA and rushed me off the call to wait to see if sync worked during my evening scheduled time. Of course, it did not.

• 9. Re: Status of Backup Assistant for Contact Information
                          BillW

Received a call today from Verizon Technical Support to tell me that BA was fixed.   I reported my continued problems getting updates downloaded to phone, and the agent walked me through a sync which confirmed that it was still not working for me.    A new ticket was opened for my particular case and the development team is investigating.   Will update when problem is resolved.

1 2 Previous Next